7 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
St. Catherine University, St. Paul campus, is accepting applicants for a fulltime Gardener in our Grounds Department. This position serves to provide day to day work direction to student gardeners.
• Works with Lead Horticulturist
• Provides direction for student staff, and/or volunteer work crews; may lead special team projects
• Responsible for the personal proper use and maintenance of tools, equipment, and materials; performs minor maintenance of power equipment and irrigation; refers more serious problems to the Lead Horticulturist or Mechanic; oversees proper use and maintenance of tools and equipment by assigned student workers.
• Responsible for maintaining required knowledge of established garden plants and turf. Understanding the cultural requirements to maintain their growth and cultivation.
• Responsible for the continual development of student workers and building positive employee relations by coaching, counseling, mentoring, motivating, resolving conflict, praising, documentation of performance, etc.
• Demonstrates a continual positive effort to maintain effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, and management
• Turf and lawn maintenance including tree care; weed and water as needed
• Work in the greenhouse; starting seedling, watering, spraying and propagating plant material
• Perform snow removal duties, plowing, deicing, snow removal with Bobcat, and power sweeping the sidewalks
• Performs regular inspections throughout the gardens; routine inspections may identify insect/disease problems, weed control needs, etc.; reports major problems or concerns to Lead Horticulturist
• Associates degree or bachelors in horticulture, botany, or natural sciences – minimum of 3 years of hands-on experience in horticulture trades is required; Supervisory experience with landscaper or garden staff preferred
• Knowledge of garden plants, turf, and the aesthetic ethic of the Gardens; In-depth knowledge of plant culture, Best Management Practices, plant identification and design preferred
• Previous experience in garden or grounds maintenance with the ability to operate various types of hand and power operated tools and equipment utilized in all phases of horticulture work (lawnmower, rototillers, front-end loader, tractors, back pack sprayers, weed-eaters, etc.)
• Previous experience and knowledge of irrigation systems and maintenance
• Applicator’s License with ornamental and turf category or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire
• Demonstrate accuracy; display commitment to excellence and a keen eye for garden detail
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team effectively
• Strong organizational, analytical, and mathematical skills for recordkeeping, and problem-solving
• Ability to understand and interpret instruction to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
• Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate maintenance and horticultural needs and personnel needs in a courteous and effective manner
• Ability to perform and support horticultural practices that facilitate plant health through understanding soil nutrition, sustainable gardening and Integrated Pest Management
• Ability to visualize and conceptualize garden detail and aesthetics applying best garden practices for plant health and display
• Ability to perform strenuous physical work outside in the Minnesota weather year round
• Must be able to pass a criminal background check and must possess a valid driver’s license
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105
EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace Employer/Tobacco-Free Campuses
Our university is a proud member of the Upper Midwest HERC and is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and assisting dual career couples. For more information and to find other higher education jobs in the Upper Midwest region, visit: www.uppermidwestherc.org