Summit Academy is an accredited adult vocational training and education center in Minneapolis dedicated to assisting individuals in developing their ability to earn and to become contributing citizens in their communities. We believe that the best social service program in the world is a job!
We have an immediate opening for a full-time Instructor in our Construction Department.
The Construction Instructor position is responsible for providing quality instruction to diverse adult learners aligned with the Council on Occupational Education’s standards for Pre-Apprentice Construction certification. This position works continuously to support Summit’s mission to prepare students for living wage jobs through training, curriculum development and classroom management.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
- Responsible for teaching program course objectives as established by Summit Academy OIC.
- Develop and maintain curriculum, course descriptions, lesson plans and course outlines that ensure student safety, are developmentally appropriate and appeal to a variety of learning styles.
- Teach adult students in a competency-based format through lectures, demonstration and other recognized instructional techniques.
- Prepare students for employment and continued education through modeling learning and behavior consistent with industry expectations, and occasional delivery of personal development classes and brown-bag lunch curriculum.
- Evaluate student progress and maintain student records, including up-to-date student attendance records, grades, progress reports and course files.
- Monitor safety of students, classroom and tools according to safety guidelines.
- Coordinate, lead and supervise student field trips to advance student learning.
- Manage tool and material inventory necessary to meet course objectives.
- Substitute teach for other instructors as necessary.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of business and industry and recommend modification of program objectives and curriculum where appropriate.
- Participate in student orientation and assemblies, student conference, faculty/staff committees, unit staff meetings, organizational staff meetings and other meetings as appropriate and/or required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma or General Education Equivalent (GED).
- Completion of a course of study in the construction trades under the direction and supervision of an established school or apprenticeship program.
- A minimum of 4000 hours recent experience in an occupation within the construction industry, or a combination of two years related post-secondary training and hands-on occupational experience.
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience delivering on-the-job training or classroom instruction, preferably with adult learners.
Visit our website at http://www.saoic.org/about/employment/.