Head Wait Staff
7 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Head Wait Staff position within the Dining Services department.
Why work for Dining Services at The University of St. Thomas:
- This is a full time, benefits eligible position.
- The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages.
- Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program.
- The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents.
- In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.
About Dining Services at The University of St. Thomas:
The University of St. Thomas Dining Services is a self-operated service that provides meals for approximately 1,200 students, faculty, and staff, as well as community members, daycare service, and visitors. The mission of Dining Services is to provide excellent dining experiences, enriching and nourishing the University of St. Thomas community. As part of this mission we provide a wide range of amenities that coincide with the diverse needs of our campus. Dining Services encompasses resident and day care dining, catering services, and convenience locations.
While we live our mission daily, our vision is to be a nationally recognized leader in dining services. Offering fresh, nutritious food, while employing sustainable, socially responsible business practices. By doing so, we dedicate ourselves to providing outstanding customer service, food and hospitality within all of our operations. In addition, we are committed to an environmentally friendly operation and have an ongoing commitment to adopting sustainable practices within every one of our unit locations. Lastly, St. Thomas Dining Services is proud to be an award winning department through recent publications with the National Association of College & University Food Services.
About the Position:
The Head Wait Staff position is responsible for servicing a catered event as set up by the Catering Supervisor. The job duties include; set-up, service, and clean-up of catered functions, assisting with deliveries, and cleaning and maintaining catering storage areas. The job will also include working frequently with temporary wait staff as is deemed necessary by each event. This would mean working cohesively with wait staff members that are not here on a day to day basis and having the ability to give them instructions that results in a successful end to each event.
The schedule is typically Monday through Friday with occasional Saturdays. Shift is mostly day-time with occasional evening coverage to 8:00 or 10:00 pm.
- This position is responsible for carrying out catered events and deliveries as designed and written by the Catering Supervisor. Duties to include; set-up, service, and clean-up of events and deliveries.
- This position is responsible for serving a catered event using the guidelines set by the catering department. Duties to include; setting and clearing of each course for plated meals, setting and maintain food levels for buffets, providing beverages where needed and requested. Supplying he guest with special requests wherever possible.
- To maintain all catering storage areas of the MPLS Campus. Duties to include; cleaning, organizing, inventory of stock, notifying proper manager when stock is needed.
- Dining Service Policies: it is expected that the Head Wait Staff will adhere to these written policies and enforce them with the staff on the University Campuses. Each person under their responsibility should be issued a policy statement, review the information with the staff and then they are to sign the document and be given a copy.
- All food service staff are required to follow the Health Department codes and regulations. Instructing and training staff in the proper cleaning methods and following the guidelines set by the university are an important part of our positions as food providers.
Minimum qualifications: High School Diploma or equivalent and two (2) years of experience as a waitperson.
This position is hands on working directly with our students and clients. We take pride in providing individual service to our clients and require a person that is friendly and communicates well with others.
Knowledge of: Principles, methods and equipment used in a restaurant setting; safe work practices and sanitation related to food preparation and service; basic computer applications related to the job.
Skill in: Serving meals in a restaurant setting; overseeing and prioritizing assignments; operating, cleaning and performing minor maintenance to large institutional food preparation and cooking equipment; maintaining accurate records and preparing work related reports; making accurate arithmetic calculations; reading, understanding and following oral and written directions; multi-tasking and organizing many events at the same time; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; maintaining security of facilities and equipment; contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
Physical requirements: Able to lift 40 pounds, move tables and chairs to arrange rooms to meet client expectations for last minutes changes. Ability to access various storage locations; (walk-in coolers, freezers, dry storage). Ability to retrieve items stores on floor, 8 inches off floor and overhead storage. Ability to work a variety of work hours as dictated by our ever changing business activities.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than “Jobs at St. Thomas”, the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity EmployerSpecial Instructions to Candidates:
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.