The Minnesota AIDS Project seeks a full time CLEAR Counselor. CLEAR: Choosing Life: Empowerment! Action! Results! is an evidence-based, health promotion intervention for individuals living with HIV/AIDS. CLEAR is a client-centered program delivered one-on-one using cognitive behavioral techniques to change behavior to support optimal health and reduction of transmission risks for individuals living with HIV. The target population for this intervention is young (18-29) African American or multiracial gay/bisexual/queer men and other men who have sex with men living with HIV who have chemical health concerns. The CLEAR counselor will also support HIV Medication Adherence interventions with the same target population. An ability to gain the trust and confidence of individuals within the target population is essential to success in this position and those with lived experiences within the target populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Understand all elements of the CLEAR intervention including its goals, strategies and outcomes so that the curriculum is delivered in a consistent manner that adheres to program strategies to achieve desired outcomes.
- Conduct recruitment activities to reach target population, or those who work with this population, in a variety of settings including public spaces, bars, treatment centers, community agencies and special events
- Deliver one-on-one counseling to program participants in accordance with the CLEAR intervention protocols, making referrals to external resources as appropriate to support positive outcomes.
- Maintain thorough understanding of HIV disease, transmission and services and thorough understanding of the intersection of chemical and mental health concerns and health management.
- Assist in delivery of peer supported medication adherence interventions with individuals and small groups.
- Maintain an understanding of program eligibility criteria, verification processes and documentation standards and complete documentation using electronic databases.
- Collaborate with agency and community HIV professionals and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated skill and expertise working with African American and multi-racial communities who are disproportionately impacted by HIV. Those with lived experiences in these communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated comfort and skill in addressing Gay/Bi/MSM/Queer and Transgender health issues. Individuals from these communities are encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated capacity to work with HIV-positive people, and those engaged in risk behaviors for HIV in individual and group settings. Individuals from this target population encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge and comfort working with topics including: HIV health, chemical health, mental health and sexual health and conducting this work from a client-centered, harm-reduction perspective.
- High school diploma required. Bachelor’s degree in public health, social work, human services or other related area or equivalent professional (2-4 years) experience is preferred.
- One on one counseling skills are preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, problem solving and organizational skills.
Apply for CLEAR Counselor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly