Accounts Payable Clerk/Accounting Technician
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Under the direct supervision of the controller, to assist in the administration of the school district's accounts payable function, ensuring the accuracy of invoices to be paid, and the timely payment of school district expenses, maintaining accurate account balances, in conformance with school district policies and practices as well as applicable laws and regulations.
- Assists in administering the school district's accounts payable function, including the processing of purchase orders, invoices for payment, internal journal entries, and inputting and maintaining data and information into the accounting system regarding accounts payable to ensure records are accurate and up-to-date.
- Researches discrepancies regarding the accuracy of invoice descriptions and amounts for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and implementing corrective measures, communicating with vendors, consultants, translators, or others as needed to reconcile. Compose correspondence as needed.
- Administers, reconciles, and records transactions related to district-issued credit cards.
- Responsible for district-wide credit card used for larger purchases including preferred supplies vendors.
- Trains staff on district accounts payable software.
- Prepares calendar year end tax documents (Form 1099).
- Assists in preparation of year end fiscal audit.
- Administers, maintains and records district supplies account with preferred vendors.
Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the accounting system.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, ten-key, copy machine, fax machine, scanner, telephone.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping principles.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, performs complex arithmetic operations and use calculators.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel, Internet-based applications).
- Ability to problem-solve job-related issues.
- Ability to process paperwork accurately according to standardized procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding school district financial and other information.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office building environments.
*See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Associates or Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field, with course work in business, math, accounting, and bookkeeping and record keeping.
- Some successful bookkeeping or accounting experience preferred.