Director Counsel, Retail Strategies
JOIN US AS DIRECTOR COUNSEL, RETAIL STRATEGIES About This OpportunityTarget is seeking a collaborative and self-motivated attorney with at least three years of legal experience to serve as Director Counsel. This attorney will provide transactional support, legal advice, and strategic direction to Target on a wide variety of matters in support of Target's retail strategies and operations. The work will include the following:
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and working closely with business partners on various agreements in support of strategic initiatives, including purchase agreements, license agreements, service agreements, strategic alliance agreements, product development agreements, and other commercial agreements.
- Providing general legal support, including in the areas of commercial disputes, transaction structuring and strategy, process improvements, and other issues
- Creating and providing client training, self-help tools, and best practices.
- Developing and managing policies and procedures regarding contracts and commercial relationships, including development of appropriate form documents and clauses.
- Developing expertise in relevant Target business processes in order to deliver outstanding and timely strategic legal advice.
- Establishing and maintaining excellent working relationships with a broad and varying set of internal business and legal partners and outside resources.
- Learning new areas of the law and business in support of Target's strategic initiatives.
- Coordinating work with other attorneys and professionals in the Law Department in order to provide efficient and effective legal services.
- At least three years of experience as a commercial attorney in a strong transactional or contracts-based practice.
- Excellent sense of prioritization and highly organized with the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Skilled at working with numerous business clients at one time.
- Business-oriented problem solver and a flexible team player.
- Possess strong writing, analytical, negotiation, and communication skills, including confident public speaking abilities.
- Ability to analyze complex contracts and transactions and propose creative and practical solutions, even in ambiguous situations.
- Experience working in-house and with retail, intellectual property and licensing issues is beneficial. Also beneficial is familiarity with current retail, marketing and merchandising tools and strategies being used by innovative companies.
- J.D. degree with excellent academic credentials from accredited law school.
- Admitted or eligible for admission to the Minnesota bar.