Collections Manager / Registrar
Days: Monday - Friday
Hiring rate or hiring range: Based on qualifications
Responsible for the care and management of collections and exhibition loans. To include traditional caregiving of the cultural collection and digital registration of permanent collection objects. The Collections Manager/Registrar initiates, supervises and implements all art crating, shipping and physical transfers of the SMSC Collections, supervises art handling; art installations and responsible for the proper management of the museum exhibition and storage areas. Registrar responsibilities include the SMSC Collections Management Plan, Facilities Reports, Risk Management and Disaster Plans. Registrar ensures the Cultural Center's compliance with the American Alliance of Museums best practices and all applicable tribal, state and federal laws regarding Native American collections and loans care.
- Authorize acquisitions, accessioning, condition reports, legal documents and agreements, photographic documentation, provenance, conservation surveys; creating agreements and receipts for collections and exhibition loans, insurance, installation, location records and histories which includes digitization of the collection.
- Disseminate collection information to Community Members, staff, students, and researchers within a collaborative teaching environment and the general public via digital media/website, through development and implementation of media collection related projects.
- Ensure cultural considerations for collections preservation within permanent &/or temporary storage environments to include arranging conservation care.
- Attend events and meetings to bring cultural awareness to the public about the SMSC Cultural Center.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Art, Art History, Indian Studies, Museum, Curatorial studies or equivalent
- Two years of recent experience working in Collections Management in a museum, art gallery or related
- Knowledge of Dakota Indian Culture
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated two years experience with responsibilities such as supervision and training of art handlers
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Valid driver's license is required with good driving record.