Recreation Supervisor - Aquatics
Recreation Supervisor - Aquatics
Status: Full-time regular position; Exempt
Salary: $63,960 – $76,710 annually, depending on qualifications
Location: Eden Prairie Community Center, 16700 Valley View Road, Eden Prairie, MN 55346
Hours: Building Hours are 5:30am to 10:00pm Monday- Sunday; Hours are typically during the day Monday – Friday, with some nights and weekends (based on business need).
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Community Center Manager
Community Center Division
This position is a member of the management team at the Community Center. An aquatics expansion totaling over $20 million dollars was completed in 2016 including two competition pools, a warm water family/leisure pool, a water slide, climbing wall, diving boards, meeting rooms and locker rooms. This is a unique opportunity to join the team and spearhead the future of a brand new Aquatics Center. This person oversees all indoor and outdoor aquatics operations which in addition to the community center aquatics areas include two beaches and the use of a school district pool. The position is supported by a part-time Aquatics Lead and additional part-time staff.
The Community Center Division is within the Parks and Recreation Department and the team members play an important role in all department activities.
The Recreation Supervisor - Aquatics directs the operations of the swimming pools and beaches. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Manages and leads the aquatics programs at the Eden Prairie Community Center and Oak Point Pool. Develops, implements, and alters programs based on community expectations and demand to increase Community Center usage, populations served and efficiency of operations.
- Provides direction to all non-exempt and part-time/temporary/seasonal staff to ensure efficient, polite, and complete services are provided to the public. Develops, establishes and implements plans, policies, procedures and measurement tools to ensure standards are continually met or exceeded.
- Recruits, manages and develops staff by establishing goals and objectives, fostering a cohesive team, providing effective feedback and development opportunities, ensuring employees receive proper on-the-job training, and managing performance through proper coaching and mentoring techniques.
- As part of management team, ensures effective and efficient operational activities at the Community Center by coordinating facility usage between City programs, high school, and youth sports associations. Administration of timely invoicing and facility usage. Fostering relationships between internal and external customers while also attracting potential renters to the Aquatics Center.
- Builds positive partnerships with key stakeholders by preparing and issuing reports to the Parks and Recreation Commission, City Council, and other interest groups. Communicates and partners with all recreation supervisors to streamline processes, programs, policies, and procedures to ensure the community is receiving the best service possible.
- Ensures consistency, safety, and well-maintained facilities by establishing and adhering to best practices, principles, procedures and policies. Develops facility policies, best practices, and staffing procedures.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Parks and Recreation, or related field. Knowledge of or experience with certification in Lifeguard training, CPR, WSI, First Aid, and Instructor Certifications preferred.
Work Experience: Three years of supervisory experience and managing an aquatics facility/area is required. A minimum of one year of building oversight experience is required.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook) required. Experience using Parks and Recreation software for registration, facility scheduling, membership management and point of sales is preferred.
Physical Requirements: Physical activity is moderate for the majority of the work with lifting or carrying up to 50 pounds. In addition, there may be times it is required you instruct swim classes. This position requires working at other City facilities, some of which are in other areas of the city. There is a need to make presentations, which involves public speaking in front of City leaders and employees. Schedules, and report preparation and writing at times requires extended use of a keyboard. Work interruptions are frequent.
Working Conditions: Most work is performed indoors in recreation facilities such as pools, gyms, fitness center. Seasonal conditions can include excessive heat.
All employees are expected to contribute to the success of our organization by demonstrating the shared expectations: Customer Focus, Flexibility, Initiative, Results Orientation, Public Stewardship, and Teamwork.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today and about possibilities; can inspire and motivate others; provides direct, complete, actionable and positive feedback to others; able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
Problem Solving: Ability to tackle a problem by using logical, systematic, sequential approach; makes a systematic comparison of two or more alternatives; notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in available information; identifies a set of features, parameters or considerations to take into account, in analyzing a situation or making a decision.
Presentation: Is effective in a variety of settings: small and large groups, with peers, direct reports, and management; in effective in all facets of the organization; uses effective tactics and techniques to keep audience engaged to facilitate results; provides direct and positive feedback to others.
Motivating Others: Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; makes each individual’s work feel important; is someone people like working for and with; able to motivate direct reports, project members, and a team; invites input and encourages contribution; empowers others; effectively delegates by sharing responsibility and accountability
Project Management: Looks ahead to the future; identifies appropriate objectives and timelines; involves appropriate stakeholders; continuously monitors project and adapts scope as appropriate; measures results and analyzes outcome; follows through on commitments.
Hiring Talent: Makes appropriate staffing decisions based on the right mixture of facts; follows all legal requirements, policies and procedures; practices equal and fair treatment and opportunity for all; hires the best people; assembles a balanced and capable staff, and builds a network of resources; able to identify talent and potential; develops succession plans to anticipate and prepare for team change.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for the Recreation Supervisor – Aquatics position:
- Professional Reference Checks/Work History and Education Verification
- Criminal History Check
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
City of Eden Prairie Application Timeline
Position Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017
Position Closes: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 4:00 PM.
Interviews begin: Week of July 10, 2017
Anticipated Start Date: August 2017