The Board of Trustees of the Minnesota Teachers Retirement Association is conducting a search for a visionary leader to serve as its Executive Director.
Reporting directly to the 8-member Board, the position serves as the Chief Executive Officer with responsibility for strategic business planning, administration and operation of the organization with 93 staff members. The main office is located in St. Paul with satellite offices in Detroit Lakes, St. Cloud, Duluth and Mankato.
The Minnesota Teachers Retirement Association (TRA) administers a defined benefit program for nearly 190,000 active, deferred, disabled and retired public school teachers and some state university faculty throughout Minnesota, with $20 billion in assets. The executive director is responsible for managing the organization and acting as advisor to its board of trustees. The executive director also serves as a fiduciary on the State Board of Investment's Investment Advisory Council which oversees the investment of state and pension assets of approximately $85 billion. TRA offers a competitive compensation package, including an industry competitive salary range of $120,000 to $172,463.
The qualifications of a successful candidate include:
• A bachelor's or advanced degree in accounting, finance, business administration or a closely related field is preferred.
• A minimum of five years of progressively responsible executive level management experience in a position with responsibility for the governance, management or administration of a pension plan/retirement plan.
• Knowledge of accounting/financial management, investment policy, information technology, actuarial science and statutory/regulatory compliance.
• Experience in pension plan administration, including risk management.
• Ability to manage and lead retirement system staff.
• Ability to understand and analyze complex financial data and actuarial reports.
• Ability to assist the board in setting strategic vision and goals for retirement system.
• Direct experience or working familiarity with formal strategic business planning, including goal-setting and formal metrics.
• Experience working effectively with members, key stakeholders (bargaining groups/unions, employer representatives, retiree representatives), actuaries, attorneys, media and other pension plan administrators.
• Experience working with legislators, public officials and other policy makers regarding pension-related state and federal legislation and laws.
• Demonstrated effective leadership skills working with staff and external stakeholders and interest groups.
• Strong communication skills, orally, electronic and in writing including experience implementing effective and innovative communications strategies to reach all members.
• Experience in creating effective collaborative work environments within a customer service-oriented culture.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a resume and letter of interest to:
Human Resource Office
State Retirement Systems
60 Empire Drive, Suite 235
St. Paul, MN 55103-4000
The application deadline is July 12, 2017.