Premium Auditor - FT (Insurance, Travel, External, Client Site, Audit)
SFM -- THE WORK COMP EXPERTS. We’re more than just insurance!
…Ideas... …Innovation... …Imagination…
Since 1983, SFM’s mission has been to be the workers’ compensation partner of choice for agents, employers, and their workers. While we’ve expanded to over 18,000 customers in the Midwest, and have grown our offerings to include vocational rehab, safe patient handling, loss prevention, medical services (and more!), our focus continues to be unrivaled customer service, injury prevention, and results.
Performs accurate & timely physical workers’ compensation insurance premium and test audits primarily on accounts with medium to larger-sized policies to determine the final earned premiums. Secures & summarizes all exposure information. Demonstrates excellent communication & customer service skills with underwriters, loss prevention, & policyholders by identifying new exposures & explaining audit results. Assists with training of Internal Premium Auditors. The ability to interact with external clients face-to-face is key. This is a travel intensive role, mostly throughout southern MN, however will require periodic overnight travel to IA and WI. Corporate office presence for meetings is required, but telecommuter set-up for in-home office is expected.
- Conducts record and interview audits of policyholders to determine current premium base by securing adequate records, discovering all exposures that need to be covered, and developing proper basis of premium in accordance with NCCI, state-applicable rules and Company best practices. This includes:
- Analyzing the policyholder’s financial reconciliations to ensure a match;
- Comparing the policyholder’s payroll records with the estimated or actual payroll reported to SFM;
- Determining the appropriate job classification codes for the policyholder’s employees by observing the workforce and questioning the policyholder;
- Reconciling the appropriate job classification code with the code reported by the policyholder to SFM and adjusting premium accordingly;
- Determining the scope of operations by reviewing contracts between the policyholder and other entities and applying IRS revenue rulings and workers’ compensation statutes and rules to determine whether a true independent contractor relationship exists.
- Summarizes all exposure information in accordance with policy contract, terms, NCCI, state-applicable rules, and Company best practices. Communicates audit results to the policyholder and reconciles any differences. Conveys physical, financial and other pertinent information gained or determined by analysis of the policyholder’s operations and financial structure to agents, marketing underwriters, and other team members.
- Manages workload and schedule of weekly activities to ensure audits are completed in a timely and accurate fashion meeting all deadlines.
- Provides professional and technical explanations to policyholders and agents concerning proper classifications as to the policyholder’s operations. Recommends proper account procedures when appropriate to policyholders when changes would benefit both the policyholder and the Company.
- Identifies new exposures facing policyholders and communicates with team leader, underwriter and/or loss prevention representative changes in operations, identified exposures, or other problems encountered.
-We’re looking for--
- 4-year college degree in finance, accounting, insurance or related field, strongly preferred.
- 2+ years of field auditing experience, preferably in workers’ compensation and/or property casualty; -OR-
- 3+ years of internal auditing experience in workers’ compensation and/or property casualty.
- Knowledge of NCCI and state applicable workers’ compensation rules.
- Ability to identify routine sources of audit information.
- Excellent math skills and strong knowledge of accounting practices.
- Highly organized and accurate with strong attention to detail.
- Strong customer service and negotiation skills.
- Strong communication skills including ability to listen and speak clearly and concisely to customers whom have a wide variety of insurance comprehension; this includes face-to-face interaction onsite at customer locations.
- Sound independent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong computer knowledge and skills (preferably Word and Excel).
- Ability and flexibility to travel on a daily basis with occasional overnight stays in order to meet with policyholders and agents.
- Must be able to operate and drive a vehicle & pass a motor vehicle records check and pre-employment physical.
- Ability to work a variable schedule, as business necessitates.
--Exciting & rewarding--
SFM was named a MN Top Workplace in 2015 and it’s not just because we offer a competitive salary and comprehensive insurance plans. We want our employees to feel proud, at home, and appreciated! Here are just SOME ways we show it:
- Company vehicle, laptop, -&- mobile phone
- Alternative schedules -&- flexible hours for WORK-LIFE BALANCE
- Relaxed, professional environment - BE YOURSELF
- Traditional -&- Roth 401(k) retirement plans with employer MATCH
- Charitable giving with employer MATCH
- PAID day to volunteer in the community
- SFM Foundation scholarship program
- Career mentor -&- development programs
- Company training -&- education reimbursement
- Wellness -&- safety programs
- FREE ON-SITE fitness center
- ON-SITE café -&- sick, new mother, -&- child care rooms
- FREE employee assistant plan (EAP)
- PAID holidays -&- leaves
- FREE short -&- long-term disability -&- life insurance
- College savings, adoption assistance, -&- savings bonds
- Pre-paid legal -&- identity theft protection
- Auto -&- homeowner’s insurance DISCOUNTS
- MERSC, Verizon, -&- gym membership DISCOUNTS
- Voluntary cancer, accident, -&- critical illness insurances
- FREE parking
- And MORE!
- Click to APPLY! -&- Find out why SFM employees have stuck around for 30+ years!
- Check Us Out @ www.sfmic.com/careers -or- https://www.youtube.com/user/SFMcompanies for more information.
If you feel any of your responses to the online profile or application will reveal your protected classification(s), do not provide that information. Do not provide high school dates of attendance or graduation. The online application and profile allow you to upload a resume/cover letter instead of manually entering all of your information.
If you need assistance during the application or interview process due to a disability, please contact Human Resources at (952) 838-2083 so accommodations may be discussed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SFM Mutual Insurance Company and each of its parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital, familial, or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected classification.
SFM Companies, EEO/AA Employers.