Doherty is currently partnering with a leader in commercial spray guns in Plymouth, MN. We are seeking Centerless Grinders on 1st shift for this exciting opportunity. Compensation starts at $16.90 - $19.12 hourly.
Centerless Grinder Duties:
- Sets up and operates one or more grinding or centerless machines to grind external cylindrical or tapered surfaces of workpieces to blueprint specifications.
- Sets up and operates precision grinding machines with special indexing equipment.
- Reads blueprints and job orders for product specifications, and interprets machining instructions to determine grinding and sequence of operations.
- Mounts grinding wheel and regulating wheel on spindles with wrenches and dresses wheel to specifications using dressing devices.
- Verifies dimensions of ground workpiece for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as micrometers, calipers and other precision gauges.
- Starts machine and monitors functional operation to qualify functionality.
- Changes, adjusts, or resets grinding wheels as needed to maintain conformance to part specifications.
- Positions and secures workpiece on mandrel between centers or in chuck.
- Manually adjusts machine controls to index workpiece and feeds wheel to workpiece, adjusting depth of cut in part by sight and feel while holding tolerances of +/-0.0001”
- Flat, Wire, and Ball Lapping:
- Sets up and operates lapping machines to lap surfaces of flat carbide objects.
- Sets up and operates wire lapping and ball lapping machines to lap surfaces of cylindrical objects.
- Reads blueprints or job order for product specifications, such as dimensions, tolerances, and number of parts to be lapped.
- Follows tooling instructions, such as lapping speeds and pressure, work-holding fixtures, and laps to be used.
- Moves controls to set lapping speeds, tool pressure, and length of cycle to guide action of laps against workpieces or workpieces against each other.
- Starts machine and brushes or sprays lapping compound on laps and workpieces.
- Inspects lapped workpieces for conformance to specifications, using instruments such as a comparator, flatness gauge, surface plates, and vacuum testers.
- Provides hands-on training and shop floor support to the Carbide and Sintering operators and ensures new and existing employees are properly oriented to established policies and procedures.
- Reviews production demands to align employees, equipment and work schedules to fulfill production requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Centerless Grinder Requirements:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED); post-secondary education in a technical filed preferred. Must have at least three years of related experience and at least two years’ experience in a lead or coordinator role.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple and complex instructions, blueprints, drawings and follow written and verbal directions.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical computations such as to adding, subtracting, and dividing using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Knowledge of and skill using Microsoft Office applications and ERP systems.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work extended hours and/or varying shifts as requested in order to maintain adequate coverage during hours of operation.
- Knowledge of Lean and Kaizan methods and practices and standard production safety protocol.
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance standards.
- Ability to set-up and operate Royal Mater Centerless Grinders and Tungsten Carbide Flat Lapping Machines.
To apply for the Centerless Grinder position, please click Apply Now and complete our mobile-friendly online application. For questions or if you need further information about the Mechanical Assembler position, please call or text our Twin Cities North Metro in Brooklyn Park at 952-835-8883