3 days left
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Minnesota AIDS Project (www.mnaidsproject.org) seeks a FT health educator to be part of a peer-based, mission-driven team dedicated to stopping HIV and enhancing the well-being of those affected by HIV. Specific responsibilities include: HIV counseling, testing and referral; linking individuals with HIV to medical care and support services; peer education; community outreach; and syringe exchange and harm reduction services to injection drug users. The health educator will be an articulate spokesperson, effective mentor and trainer, and competent peer and team member. This position will focus on those at high risk for HIV including the following target communities: injection drug users, gay and bisexual men and other men who have sex with men and transgender individuals who have sex with men. An ability to gain the trust and confidence of HIV-positive individuals and individuals in target communities in outreach venues is essential to success in this position.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Deliver HIV counseling, testing and referral to individuals from targeted communities.
- Provide risk reduction and public health education, social networking and marketing using innovative techniques designed to reach the targeted communities.
- Staff syringe exchange services.
- Organize and facilitate weekly/monthly volunteer events.
- Coordinate and assist with condom distribution.
- Conduct outreach to targeted communities in public settings including bars, treatment centers, community agencies and special events.
- Conduct outreach to targeted communities in electronic settings including chat rooms and mobile social networking applications.
- Coordinate efforts of volunteers in office and outreach sessions.
- Track and report program data.
- Capacity to address Gay/Bi/MSM and transgender health issues and work with individuals from diverse populations. Those with lived experiences in these communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Comfort in working with people who inject drugs from a nonjudgmental, harm reduction perspective.
- High school diploma required. Bachelor’s degree in public health, social work, human services or other related area or equivalent professional experience is preferred.
- Knowledge and comfort working with topics including: HIV health, chemical health and mental health.
- Comfort delivering HIV testing involving finger pokes and collection of a small amount of blood. Training will be provided.
- Comfort and skill being a peer leader, spokesperson and mentor with community members.
- Knowledge of current innovative HIV health education strategies
- Excellent verbal and written communication, problem solving and organizational skills.
The Minnesota AIDS Project is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We encourage applications from all interested persons, including women, people of color, persons with disabilities and GLBTQ persons.
Apply for Health Educator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly