Director of Labor Relations and Benefits
Director of Labor Relations and Benefits
Employer: Anoka-Hennepin ISD #11
Location: Employee Services Dept, Anoka, Minnesota
Posting end date: 7/11/2017
Posting # 1865
Full Time - 12 months
DIRECTOR OF LABOR RELATIONS AND BENEFITS
Develops, plans, and administers policies and procedures relating to Labor Relations and Benefits including benefits, compensation, labor agreement interpretation, and assists the General Counsel with contract negotiations by performing the following duties or coordinating through team members with the position’s oversight.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership and Planning
- Provides vision, leadership, and planning for the district in the areas of labor relations and benefits to meet the current and future needs of the district.
- Facilitates the development and implementation of strategic initiatives in the areas of oversight to support the mission and goals of the district.
- Assures compliance with laws and district policies in the areas of oversight.
- Provides advice and counsel to district administrators in the areas of labor relations and benefits.
- Assists the General Counsel in all matters regarding negotiated labor agreements and interpreting contract language.
- Recommends and coordinates appropriate compensation systems and ensure compliance with any pay equity laws.
- Implements and interprets negotiated labor agreements and district employment policies in the areas of oversight.
- Directs, oversees, and is responsible for managing the district’s comprehensive benefits programs including but not limited to: medical, dental, retiree benefits, sick leave bank, workers compensation, long term disability insurance, and life insurances.
- Manages all services provided by insurance carriers, brokers, and third party administrators.
- Analyzes, forecasts, and recommends funding rates and program benefits for the district’s self-insurance plans including health, dental and worker’s compensation.
- Ability to recognize and identify trends or challenges in the areas of responsibility and interprets data to draw conclusions. Recommends and/or deploys strategies to initiate system change and make district-wide improvements.
- Prepares, recommends, and monitors program budgets for the allocation of departmental resources.
- Mentor, coach, and develop departmental staff to achieve professional work goals.
- Performs other tasks and assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director of Human Resources or Superintendent.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises the Insurance Benefits Supervisor, one non-supervisory confidential employees, and indirectly supervises four confidential employees. Has responsibility for the overall direction, coordination, evaluation and supervision of these employees in accordance with School District policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Minimum Qualifications: Requires Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Public Administration, Business or related area. Requires ten years related experience, preferably in an educational setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional articles, financial reports, and legal documents.
Skilled in verbal and written communication to/with a diverse audience.
Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from administrators, teachers, other District employees, the general public and the School Board.
Ability to effectively present information to administrators, teachers, other District employees, the general public and the School Board.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to maintain regular attendance, which includes completing an assigned day
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree preferred. Human Resources Certificates or Benefit Administration Certificate preferred.
Start Date: 8/1/17.
Salary: $110,000 and up DOQ, up to 5 percent annual performance pay, and generous benefits package.
How To Apply:
All Applicants must complete the Anoka-Hennepin Schools online application at www.ahschools.us
Applicants must ALSO attach a of interest and a current resume describing qualifications for this position, along with a minimum of three letters of recommendation.
Anoka-Hennepin ISD #11 Employee Services Dept
2727 N Ferry Street, Anoka, MN 55303
Rena Hammes, 763-506-1100