Direct Support Professional
Direct Support Professional
Hennepin County, MN
Hammer currently has openings for Direct Support Professionals in the west metro. We have opportunities for employment in the following programs: group homes, apartment style programs, 1:1 with people in their private homes in the community, and taking groups of people on vacations through our Hammer Travel division. Check out Hammer Travel at hammertravel.org!
Do you want to go to work knowing that you’ll make a real difference in someone’s life? Do you want to advocate for human rights and motivate individuals to fulfill their dreams? At Hammer you can do just that! Hammer Residences' mission is to provide adults and children with developmental disabilities the opportunity to experience life to its fullest. Since 1923, Hammer has provided innovative services for people with disabilities to live meaningful, self-directed lives. Headquartered in Wayzata, we have 37 houses and 10 apartment programs in Hennepin County. We also provide services for people who live in their own homes. We are proud to be a Star Tribune Top Workplace for seven years in a row!
The Direct Support Professional is the most important role in our organization. As a DSP, you will directly support individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The people we serve live in Hammer's group homes or apartment programs with the support of caring teams who provide supervision and teach skills, support health and personal cares, help with household tasks, and offer social and emotional support.
A typical day in the life of a DSP looks like:
- supporting people with intellectual and developmental disabilities to live as independently as possible while working towards their dreams and goals;
- assisting with household duties such as cooking, laundry, shopping and cleaning;
- reliably following all procedures to care for each person's health and safety, including medical or behavioral emergencies;
- using a computer for daily documenting, on-line training and recording medication administration;
- driving a company car to appointments and activities like the Y, dances, bowling, Twins games, movies and more;
- working cooperatively with teams, families and other professionals.
Hammer benefits for employees:
- provide you with paid training;
- excellent paid time off;
- competitive benefits package;
- additional benefits such as education grants;
- offer a variety of schedules including part time, full time, afternoons, evenings, weekends and overnights;
- provide free meals while you work;
- opportunities for advancement and leadership training.
Our programs are located in the west metro in the following cities: St. Louis Park, Wayzata, Minnetonka, Crystal, Golden Valley, New Hope, Eden Prairie, Edina, Maple Grove, and Plymouth.
Hammer Residences is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.