Student Support Teacher
Days: Monday - Friday
Hiring rate or hiring range: Based on qualifications
Provides assistance and tutoring to students; and will lead engaging academic, enrichment, and recreation activities. Provides opportunities for students to develop and strengthen academic, physical, and social skills. Maintains a safe and healthy environment. Responsible for the supervision of students in classroom settings, and on activities.
- Serves as an academic skill development teacher for reading, math, spelling, vocabulary and writing. Develops lesson plans, differentiating lessons and activities for students with various abilities. Designs an Individual Learning Plan for each student that identifies specific goals for the semester and academic year, including long range academic goal planning to ensure graduation.
- Serves as a study skill coach to prepare students for mandatory school district tests, practice tests, skills reviews, while encouraging and motivating students to succeed. Provides direct service with homework completion. Provides service in the organization of student binders, planners, lockers, desks, etc.
- Leads organized learning activities for students to develop and strengthen their academic, emotional, behavioral, and social skills.
- Maintains up-to-date learning plans for each student.
- Beginning at the middle school level, proactively provides post-secondary support that includes preparation and planning to maximize each students' potential and to identify educational opportunities.
- Proactively monitors student attendance. Intervenes when issues arise to bring students within the guidelines established by the SMSC Education Committee.
- Serves as a direct liaison between schools and families. Consult with students' teachers on academic, attendance, social/emotional/behavioral or cultural issues.
- Serves as an advocate for students, families and the SMSC staff to achieve positive results for students within the school setting. Serves as advocate for the Dakota culture within the school setting.
- Coordinates special event planning and delivery. Prepares proposals for events as assigned. Assists with all activities in the SMSC Education Department. Attends all Education Department meetings and events as required.
- Participates and promotes Dakota language and culture through programming, activities and special events.
- Mandatory reporter of suspected child abuse or neglect.
- Bachelor's degree in Education or related experience.
- Current MN Teaching License or highly skilled experience in education or closely related field
- Demonstrated experience as a classroom teacher, instructor or teaching assistant
- Demonstrates a sensitivity to and understanding of the Dakota people, their culture, history and contemporary status
- Demonstrated understanding of, and experience working with Native American school age children and their families
- Demonstrates the ability to work closely with our families and the school's staff to ensure effective communication, collaboration and cooperation
- Demonstrates a commitment to promoting academic success for each student
- Demonstrates effective organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrates computer skills, Microsoft, Word, and Excel
- Valid driver's license with a good driving record
- C.P.R. and First Aid Certification or ability to obtain within 90 days of employment
- Special Education teaching experience.