Dir of Land & Natural Resource
Days: Monday - Friday
Hiring rate or hiring range: Based on qualifications
Manages the Land and Natural Resource Department and is responsible for all tasks assigned to that Department whether by Tribal law, General Council action or Business Council action.
Formulates and maintains departmental budgets. Controls expenses and labor costs against budget. Responsible for grant and contract reporting.
- Plans, organizes, directs and oversees the daily operations of the water resource and environmental protection projects. Ensures that the programs to monitor, maintain and restore the quality of all SMSC surface water, ground water and living resources meet regulatory compliance standards and requirements.
- Plans, organizes, directs and oversees the daily operations for code compliance and enforcement for the Tribal Building Code on all residential and commercial construction on Tribal Lands.
- Develops, plans and implements departmental long and short term goals and objectives. Establishes and administers policies and procedures.
- Supervise and participate in the development and implementation of projects, including preparing and monitoring project budgets and completion deadlines, staffing and project management issues.
- Plan, organize, direct and oversee land and real estate transactions for SMSC.
- Formulates budgets and capital expenditures for departments within Land and Natural Resources. Reviews monthly and quarterly reports to ensure expenditures for the department are within budgetary goals.
- Interviews, selects, hires, and promotes employees, including training, development, performance management, and terminations.
- Bachelor's of Science degree in natural science, natural resources
- management or related field.
- Five years of management experience in related field.
- Completed 40 hours hazardous materials handling course or ability ot complete within 90 days of hire.
- Extensive knowledge of living systems, ecosystem function and natural resources.
- Extensive knowledge of hydrology, soil science, geology, biology and general environmental science Ability to perform and/or manage multiple tasks, projects and priorities.
- Valid driver's license is required with a good driving record.
- Extensive knowledge of federal environmental law.
- Extensive knowledge of federal Indian land law.
- Public speaking and political interface required.
- Outside work 20% of time.
- Some travel required (10%).