TITLE: Referral Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Nursing Manager or Clinic Director
SUMMARY: Processes patient information, referrals, prior authorizations, referral tracking and facilitates communication between nurses, providers, ancillary services, and patients by providing station and phone support.
- Demonstrates effective, culturally sensitive communication skills and effectively communicates verbally and in writing with a variety of people.
- Achieves customer/patient satisfaction objectives by greeting patients, proactively attending to patient’s needs, and responding to requests, all in a timely and efficient manner.
- Responsible for assisting with station phones and voicemail, and accurately and completely recording / relaying messages in a timely manner to patients and appropriate health care personnel.
- Processes referrals and schedules tests and procedures for patients per provider orders utilizing appropriate facilities for optimum continuity of care and benefit to the patient.
- Track patient referrals to and from specialty care to ensure continuity of care and optimized patient health and wellness.
- Completes patient data entry into EMR, as required.
- Partners with Lead Referral Coordinator and Manager to optimize referral care delivery and drive continuous improvement through utilization of department performance metrics aligned with organizations strategic goals.
- Responsible for obtaining prior authorization for patient tests, procedures, pharmaceuticals etc.
- Supports nursing and providers in obtaining test results and assuring result placement in the patients EMR.
- Documents appointments and attempts to contact patients.
- Effectively prioritizes and manages time sensitive referrals.
- Manages multiple responsibilities, tasks and multiple referrals.
- Communication around pending referrals and status updates to medical staff and patients.
- Maintains a favorable working relationship with all other employees to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working climate, conducive to employee morale, productivity, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Keeps immediate supervisor promptly and fully informed of all problems or unusual matters of significance coming to his/her attention so that swift corrective action can be taken when appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Works within the scope of the job description / job responsibilities with general direction.
- Consults with others as appropriate.
- Does not supervise other staff.
- May provide work direction to students/volunteers.
INFECTION CONTROL AND SAFETY PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITY
- Consistently practices universal precautions, hazardous waste precautions/handling, and right to know.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Busy clinic environment.
- Must be able to juggle multiple demands.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Computer keyboard experience.
- MS Word, Outlook, Excel and Intranet navigation
- Flexibility, strong time management skills as well as working on multiple issues at one time are required for this position.
- Prior healthcare setting experience.
- Strong knowledge of medical terminology.
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- High level of ethics in maintaining patient confidentiality.
- Minimum of one year prior health care experience in similar setting.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish, English/Hmong) strongly preferred.
Bachelors and/or Associates Degree in Healthcare related