Associate Program Officer
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Position Title: Associate Program Officer
Reports To: Program Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Helmsley Charitable Trust’s Conservation Program mission is to support efforts resulting in long term biodiversity, sustainable natural resources, and resilient communities. The grantmaking in this portfolio supports conservation work in: Madagascar; Myanmar; Gulf of California, Mexico; the Galapagos Archipelago, Ecuador; global marine conservation; and other related conservation efforts. The Trust is currently winding down its work in these geographies and has begun exploring the transition of Conservation grantmaking into Helmsley’s other place-based programs in New York City, Sub-Saharan Africa, the rural Upper Mid-West, and Israel.
The Helmsley Charitable Trust is seeking a qualified candidate for an Associate Program Officer role. The APO will initially assist the Program Officer and Program Director in fulfilling responsibilities related to the wind-down of the conservation grant making portfolio over the next 18-24 months. The APO will also assist with the transition of conservation related grant-making into other regions of interest. Responsibilities will generally include report writing, memo processing, budget tracking, and providing technical support to grantees, though the candidate may have the opportunity to work on other projects as needed. The candidate will also work closely with all Trust departments including Grants Management and Communications, as appropriate.
The ideal candidate is analytical with a strong attention to detail, the ability to manage several tasks simultaneously, and the ability to prioritize time wisely. She/he is also an exceptionally good writer, has the ability to gather and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information, and is comfortable deciphering complex budgets. The candidate should also possess a high level of initiative and be comfortable working independently, as well as with peers and colleagues.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, with experience in environmental conservation, community development, or rural healthcare issues preferred.
- 1-3 years experience working in a collaborative office environment, with prior experience in philanthropy or the nonprofit sector preferred.
- Exceptional writing capacity.
- Experience developing, understanding, and manipulating programmatic budgets.
- Must be able to think critically, and read, understand, summarize and synthesize a wide range of materials in order to make informed judgments about their nature.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook as well as databases. Experience with MicroEdge GIFTS a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and accurately complete multiple tasks, and to work under deadlines and changing priorities.
- A strong team-player, with a diplomatic, professional manner, and a sense of humor.
This APO position will be based in our Sioux Falls, South Dakota office. Send resume (in Word or PDF format) and cover letter to email@example.com. Include “Conservation APO” in the subject line. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust aspires to improve lives by supporting exceptional efforts in the U.S. and around the world in health and select place-based initiatives. Since beginning its active grantmaking in 2008, Helmsley has committed more than $1.5 billion for a wide range of charitable purposes. For more information on Helmsley, visit www.helmsleytrust.org.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Apply for Associate Program Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly