Purpose of Position: To provide for the efficient and economical performance of the facilities department through the execution of general cleaning and maintenance throughout the entire campus. This position performs essential maintenance and janitorial duties to ensure the security and protection of DeLaSalle’s facilities and equipment with good attention to detail and the desire to help create a clean, well-functioning and welcoming facility for all.
- Be present and ready for all scheduled work hours. Create, project, and maintain a professional image at all times while maintaining a clean and professionally organized work area.
- Provide excellent service and proactive problem resolution through appropriate and effective communication with families, students, and staff relating to any inquiry.
- Resolve problems in recurring assignments in accordance with previous training and experience. Seek supervisor provided suggestions for handling unusual or nonrecurring issues.
- Assist supervisor with administrative support as needed and assigned.
- Ensure successful and safe operation of facility and equipment by performing regular maintenance and service of equipment in addition to minor repairs (i.e. replacing broken switches, fixing door handles, minor leaks, replacing filters, changing oil, etc.)
- Properly execute general custodial duties, and light maintenance/repair, of assigned areas by following a workflow checklist and routine. Provide for the general cleaning of assigned areas while complying with safety regulations and trainings to ensure facilities are thoroughly cleaned and well maintained, with specific attention to school sustainability practices and monitoring of vendor completed cleaning.
- Demonstrate good stewardship of facilities by proactively addressing and resolving issues relating to the cleanliness & functionality of the facility and its equipment. Also by securing facilities after operating hours by locking doors, closing windows, turning off lights, clearing people from the building and setting up the alarm system.
- Properly execute periodic/seasonal custodial duties as scheduled and assigned, i.e. window washing, painting, floor waxing, carpet cleaning, landscaping, snow removal, etc.
- Demonstrate good team work by proactively assisting other facilities employees as necessary in the completion of all facilities and maintenance related duties ensuring a well maintained and properly functioning school.
- Perform facility set-up and tear-down as required for various functions as assigned, including table/chair/desk configurations, moving/storing equipment and materials, special cleaning, assembly/event preparations and clean-ups, and securing facility for both open and closed hours.
- Serve as a steward and provide for the quality control of the care, maintenance, and security of the buildings, equipment, and tools as performed by yourself, colleagues, and/or vendors.
- Notify supervisor of relevant information in regards to items/areas in disrepair, special maintenance needs, inventory supply levels, and equipment and tool repairs or purchases
- Preferred background in facilities management and custodial services
- Ability to work cooperatively with other employees in proximity with students
- Effective verbal communicator
- Demonstrated organization, proactive initiative, and strong work ethic
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
- Familiarity with basic landscaping and handyman practices
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness
- Demonstrated ability to proactively work well with others and anticipate the needs of the job
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Must be dependable and punctual
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Works in such a manner to provide positive and timely communication with students and parents while maintaining strict confidentiality of sensitive information
- Able to work alone without supervision, obtaining direction when appropriate and possess the ability to collaborate with and support other staff as directed
- Execute multiple projects/tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions
- Perform all duties in a manner that promotes the mission of DeLaSalle High School
- Attend employee meetings as required
- Able to work 40+ hours per week during variable weekend and evening hours
- Lift and move using proper techniques up to 50 pounds