POSITION TITLE: Office Assistant (Job#2017-08)
DEPARTMENT: Public Affairs
SUPERVISOR: Executive Assistant Public Affairs
LOCATION: St. Paul Office
HOURS/STATUS: Full-time / Non-exempt
EMPLOYEE GROUP: United Staff of Minnesota
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 9 Months
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Public Affairs Executive Assistant, the Public Affairs Office Assistant provides a full range of administrative and office support services to the Education Minnesota Public Affairs department. This position provides direct support to professional staff within the department as well as program coordination for Education Minnesota’s Political Action Committee and legislative activities, the dissemination of information and publications to members and their significance to support the mission of Education Minnesota.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide a full range of administrative support for Education Minnesota’s Public Affairs Programs.
- Review, prepare, maintain records, code billings and obtain appropriate signatures for: expenses, workshops, and various committee and projects.
- Provide back-up support to other Public Affairs Office Professional staff as directed.
- Schedule appointments, maintain calendars, note important dates, route correspondence and maintain follow-ups.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings and workshops with members and staff; including but not limited to arranging for hotel contracts, sending meeting notices, room arrangements, catering, preparation of materials, transcribing meeting notes, and all follow-up.
- Produce flyers, newsletters and other publications as directed, including web based production and editing.
- Maintain a highly organized filing system for tracking political expenditures.
- Answer phones and initiate appropriate follow-up.
- Assist with overall organization and day-to-day functions of the department.
- Maintain and handle facsimile and copying needs of the department.
- Update information in various record-keeping systems.
- Participate in projects, duties, and other administrative tasks assigned by management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education Minnesota leaders and members Education Minnesota, AFT, and NEA staff
Governmental agencies and officials Vendors, including hotel staff
School district personnel Community and civic leaders
MN Legislative personnel AFL-CIO
MACHINES AND/OR TOOLS OPERATED:
Computer and Printer Phone Fax Machine
LCD Projector Copiers Mobile communication devices
Maintain confidential information as applicable.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Three (3) or more year’s proficiency at an intermediate level in MS Office Applications with emphasis on Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Record keeping and bookkeeping skills.
- Accurate typing, transcribing and computer skills.
- Desktop publishing.
- Good public relations, communications, telephone and personal skills.
- Excellent spelling and grammar skills.
- Understand and effectively carry out complex verbal and written directions.
- Work well under pressure, able to handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
- Problem-solve and work independently.
- Good planning and organization skills; ability to prioritize work assignments and be punctual.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds.
- HS diploma or GED.
- Three (3) years administrative support experience
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite of products (Outlook, Excel, Word, Access, Publisher, PowerPoint)
- Three (3) or more years administrative experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public affairs or government relations.
- Experience with a political environment including campaigns and elections
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign or other desktop layout software.
- Experience in web editing software highly desired.
Willingness to work overtime (including nights and weekends) as needed.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the following is provided: the position requires use of clear and articulate speech; ability to read and comprehend written and oral directions; ability to effectively deal with tight deadlines; sitting for long periods, stooping, bending, reaching and standing for long periods; repetitive movement with hands and wrists; use of computer keyboard; and carrying materials (up to 5 lb. and occasionally up to 40 lb.).
POSTING DEADLINE: For best consideration, apply online and include resume, by 11:59 PM on SEPTEMBER 27, 2017
Please apply online using the following link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=education&jobId=214493&lang=en_US&source=CC3
41 SHERBURNE AVENUE
ST. PAUL, MN 55103