Vice President of Marketing and Communications
St. Catherine University is currently accepting applications for the position of Vice President of Marketing and Communications. Reporting to the Executive Vice President, and serving as an integral member of the President's Senior Leadership Team, the Vice President (VP) of Marketing & Communications oversees the Marketing & Communications department within the Institutional Advancement division of St. Catherine University. This position leads the development and implementation of the University's brand, vision, strategy and public relations campaigns to attract the best students, motivate alumni and donors and recruit high quality faculty and staff. The VP of Marketing & Communications is responsible for managing all communications activities and building external relationships with St. Catherine University's constituencies, including donors and the media. This position is also responsible for St. Catherine University's varied and integrated marketing and communications products and services including: newsletters and other print publications; web, e-news and other online communications; media and public relations; and marketing. The VP of Marketing & Communications shapes and informs formal communication channels, providing clear and consistent messaging and ensures that the St. Catherine University communications are unified, strategic, innovative and customer-oriented. The VP of Marketing & Communications collaboratively works with the President, Board of Trustees, and other Vice Presidents to further the mission, vision, and strategic plan of St. Catherine University.
The Vice President of Marketing & Communications leads a diverse team of marketing and communications professional in the strategic planning execution of all internal and external communications, including media relations, institutional messaging and crisis communications and advocates for and advances effective communications throughout the University.
Key responsibilities include:
Vision, Strategy and Leadership
• Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact St. Catherine University as well as serve on a number of committees and task forces
• Develop and implement a strategic marketing and communications brand and push brand out across highly independent schools, colleges and programs of St. Catherine University
• Implement Strategic Plan “Setting Our Sails 2028” and prepare for upcoming major fundraising campaign
• Work as true partner with our CIO on web and intranet creation, structure and governance
• Cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences.
• Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material to the President and other key staff as needed.
• Advise the President, Senior Leadership Team and Board of Trustees on communications and maximizing opportunities to promote the University and value of the liberal arts broadly to national and international audiences
• Cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences
Operations/Team Development and Management
• Oversee department day-to-date activities including budgeting, planning and staff development
• Execute RFP, vendor selection and project management of major marketing and communications projects
• Plans and oversees the design and development of all marketing, public relations and advertising products
• Develop and implement a comprehensive media relations strategy; maintain and implement the University's crisis communications plan
• Leads and directs the Marketing & Communications team and coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with all University departments
• Recruit and manage appropriate Marketing & Communications team to support the development and execution of the marketing and communications strategy
• Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement valuing learning and commitment to quality
• Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities and conduct annual performance appraisals
Bachelor's degree required with a minimum of 5 years of senior management experience in marketing and/or communications experience ideally being in higher education. Experience with one or more of the following abilities is required: marketing, public relations, media relations, news and information, video production, photography or publications.
The ideal candidate is creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized as well as have excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills, possesses outstanding leadership and comprehensive brand strategic marketing and communications management to advance the organization's mission and vision. The successful candidate will have an understanding of academic environment with a proven track record of healthy, respect based and results oriented relationships with Marketing & Communications team, faculty, staff and administration is desired. The ideal candidate also possesses a passion for liberal arts education and demonstrates success in communicating institutional mission and vision among internal and external audiences with the ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs of the University.
The scope of the job frequently requires attendance at event and/or weekend activities, meetings and seminars. Frequent travel may be required.
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105
EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace Employer/Tobacco-Free Campuses
Our university is a proud member of the Upper Midwest HERC and is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and assisting dual career couples. For more information and to find other higher education jobs in the Upper Midwest region, visit: www.uppermidwestherc.org