Legal Counsel - Contract Attorney (In House)
Days: Monday - Friday
Hiring rate or hiring range: Based on qualifications
Perform legal services for and on behalf of the Community as in-house attorney. Responsible for providing legal services and counsel in a number of areas, including but not limited to: review and drafting of commercial transaction documents related to the purchase of goods and services for the SMSC Gaming Enterprise, SMSC non-gaming enterprise and tribal government departments; assist in the establishing contract review, maintenance, and organizing process; reviewing and drafting operational policies and procedures; reviewing and drafting employment policies and procedures; reviewing and providing counsel on cyber security issues; supporting other attorneys in the areas of employment law, government regulation, legislative drafting, and legal research. Work, as directed by the Business Council and General Legal Counsel, on issues related to the daily operation of the Community gaming enterprise, non-gaming enterprise and departments; and to appear, as directed by the Business Council and General Legal Counsel, before federal, state and tribal courts (excluding claims against the United States), government agencies and legislative bodies.
- Review and draft a variety of transactional documents for gaming and non-gaming enterprises and government departments.
- Supporting other attorneys in the areas of employment law, government regulation, legislative drafting and legal research.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Minnesota.
- At least three years of professional legal experience in relevant areas described in the Job Summary.
- Knowledge of legal principles and practices of federal Indian law, business transactions, commercial and employment policy and procedure drafting, informational technology risk management practices.
- Strong writing and legal research skills.