3 weeks ago
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 2017-3147
Minneapolis & St. Paul
Department/Unit Office of Sustainability Initiatives
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
Special Instructions Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Sustainability Manager position within the Office of Sustainability Initiatives.
The Sustainability Manager will research, audit, coordinate, and promote new and current sustainability methods and programs on campus to support an integrated university-wide system and culture of sustainability. Sustainability Manager collects and analyzes sustainability related data from various sources to determine feasibility, project outcomes, and measure the overall effectiveness and progress of the University's sustainability programs. The Sustainability Manager will also be responsible for seeking external grant funding for sustainability programs and organizing campus-wide events and forums related to sustainability.
- Researches, proposes, and coordinates current and new campus sustainability methods and programs to support an integrated university-wide system of sustainability. Chairs the Sustainability Council (Academic Affairs, Facilities Management, Dining Services, Student Affairs, and Neighborhood Relations) and collaborates with members, as well as Human Resources, the Social Innovation Collaboratory, the Center for the Common Good, and other university units. Assists with presentations related to sustainability.
- Develops data collection methodologies and reporting processes. Collects, tracks, and maintains various sustainability indicators. Performs statistical analysis on sustainability related data. Determines and projects the feasibility and expected outcomes for new programs and initiatives. Completes sustainability audits and identifies gaps where the University could improve their sustainability programs. Prepares internal and external reports about progress and effectiveness of current programs.
- In collaboration with other departments within the University, identifies and secures external grant funding and endowments for sustainability related research and programs.
- In collaboration with the Marketing and Incentives department, develops and implements internal and external communications promoting a broad awareness of campus sustainability programs.
- Represents sustainability on various campus committees. Acts as a liaison with other sustainability coordinators and analysts at other institutions, businesses, and other environmentally oriented external organizations to share experiences and practices.
- Organizes campus-wide events and forums related to sustainability.
- Other duties as assigned.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor's degree in sustainability, environmental science, environmental studies, mathematics, engineering, or a related field and five (5) years of program administration/office management experience.
An equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills have been acquired may be substituted.
Preferred qualifications: a Master's degree in environmental science, environmental studies, mathematics, sustainability, engineering, or a related field; experience in sustainability planning and/or management, and experience conducting research and performing statistical analysis.
Knowledge of: sustainability concepts, energy efficiency practices, and EPA and AASHE guidelines. Knowledge of sustainability theories and practices. The use of statistical tools and analysis. The use of data collection and assessment methodologies. Proficiency with Microsoft Office to include Excel, Access, Word, and other computer applications related to the work. Principles and practices related to conducting research, and data collection.
Skill in: Effectively communicating complex information verbally and in writing. Analyzing and summarizing data from a variety of sources. Skill in developing and presenting effective presentations for multiple audiences. Strong interpersonal professional, communication, and collaboration skills.
Abilities: Ability to organize his/her own workload and multi-task. Ability to identify trends within research and data collections. Ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels. Ability to work independently as well as collaborate well with other team members.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than "Jobs at St. Thomas", the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Special Instructions to Candidates
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.