2 weeks ago
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 300011
Department/Unit Controller's Office - Business Affairs
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
Special Instructions Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Staff Accountant position within the Controller's Office.
The purpose of this position is to complete various financial accounting tasks ensuring that they are completed accurately and timely.
- Maintaining and accounting for Property, Plant and Equipment in accordance with established policies.
- Reconcile the Fixed Asset system monthly to the general ledger and update the capitalization of assets.
- Responsible for any updating and changes to capital project accts/orgs/funds and location codes.
- Monitor the Building project funds in order to determine if assets should be capitalized or CIP.
- Approve all capital expenses through the purchasing department.
- Setup assets to depreciate in accordance with established policies.
- Run the year-end depreciation process.
- Partner with Physical Facilities, ITS and various departments to ensure accuracy of budgets and projections for capital expenses.
Institutional Surveys and Benchmark Report:
- Assist with the preparation of annual surveys received from various outside organizations including IPEDS, NACUBO, NCAA, HLC, US Census Bureau, US News, National Science Foundation and other bond-rating agencies
- Create color graphs that correlate with the data in the report
Grants and Contracts:
- Create and maintain grant funds in Banner
- Review grant documents
- Monitor grant budgets and assist with revisions
- Work with grant principal investigators as needed
- Prepare and submit quarterly/annual reports
- Prepare grant related journal entries and handle cash management
- Federal Direct Loan and Campus Based Aid accounting and cash management, initiate draws, reconcile and record entries on a weekly and monthly basis
- Assist with the reconciliation of various bank statements to the general ledger.
Sales Tax Reporting Review & Monitoring:
- Conduct overall UST review to ensure that all sales tax items have been identified and accounted for properly and keep departments informed of those taxable items.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of sales tax reporting.
Property Tax Exemptions:
- Assist with the property tax exemption compliance, including timely filing of government forms
- Answer departmental questions regarding accounting matters, account codes, reports, charges, etc.
- Perform special projects as assigned by staff in the Controller's office.
- Responsible for reviewing and approving departmental journal vouchers submitted via online system.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.
Minimum qualifications: Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or a related field. Preferred qualifications include professional accounting experience plus a desire to work in the nonprofit industry.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills have been acquired may be substituted.
Knowledge of: The use of specified computer applications involving word processing (Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Banner and its related modules), data entry and/or standard report generation. Established principles, theories, techniques and methodologies related to accounting; codes and regulations related to the work; financial record keeping and bookkeeping practices and techniques; standard office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment; correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation; techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals, in person and over the telephone; basic practices of reviewing financial documents for completeness and accuracy.
Skill in: Ability to apply basic analytical skills; compile and review figures; interpret, apply, and explain laws, codes, and regulations; prepare and present working papers and supporting documentation; maintaining accurate financial records and preparing accurate and timely reports; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical deadlines; making accurate arithmetic calculations; understanding and following oral and written directions; working without close supervision in standard work situations; contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities; ability to work independently and as a team player; accurate and concise verbal communication skills; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than "Jobs at St. Thomas", the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Special Instructions to Candidates
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.