Segment Manager - Industrial Automation
Be part of a growing, successful company in an exciting and challenging field. Border States is 100% employee-owned, which means you’re empowered to make decisions, find solutions and receive rewards for your hard work.
Provides focused segment leadership and direction, manages and executes effective market strategies, secures strategic vendor alignment to increase sales and grow profits. Negotiates terms and programs with vendors and reps. Identifies strategy development and ownership of major market trends and initiatives. Develops, communicates and maintains strategic vendor alignment strategies and platforms. Develops market plans, market strategies, market share analysis, and support business development with target markets.
- Participates in a team environment, with the spirit of the corporate values and culture, by setting, communicating and managing the industrial automation segment go to market strategy.
- Improves performance for assigned market segment while developing and implementing best practices and strategies.
- Negotiates terms and programs with vendors and reps.
- Maximizes profitability by aiding in vendor negotiations and margin review.
- Leads the effort of gathering and analyzing market feedback from branches on required costs and sells.
- Identifies strategy development and ownership of major market trends and initiatives within the assigned segment.
- Provides necessary leadership with emerging strategic market opportunities.
- Develops, communicates and maintains strategic vendor alignment strategies and platforms.
- Develops market plans, market strategies, market share analysis, and support business development with target markets.
- Fully supports catalog and content initiatives for company’s digital strategy.
- Works closely with the Marketing Services and Sales Teams in the development of marketing tools, sales tools and joint planning activities.
- Regular collaboration and communication with Sales Teams for the assigned markets in regards to customer needs, market trends, new products and market segment strategies.
- Collaborates on gathering and assessing market intelligence and analytics.
- Fully supports BSE’s SCS & Sales Teams for contract bid requirements related to product identification, cross-referencing, material sourcing, and vendor negotiation.
- Produces and reviews reports on assigned product lines that help to analyze business mix and ensure profitable and efficient segment performance.
- Regularly meets with key vendors and jointly prepare strategies for the company on key assigned product lines in collaboration with Sales Management.
- Identifies cost saving efficiencies, ways to streamline business transactions through IDW, EDI and ecommerce.
- Maximizes margin and profitability opportunities within segment.
- Drives best in class performance through Vendor Supply Chain Report Card data, dashboards, risk analysis and vendor performance summaries
Participate in sales and marketing meetings and update sessions with sales staff.
- Consistently supports WMBE and other disadvantaged sourcing opportunities when possible.
- Provides input for the development and execution of training initiatives to fit market strategies.
- Assists in the development of capabilities / services brochures, market tools, sales promotions and incentives.
- Supports and drive team and market Vital Factors.
- Fully supports BSE’s Service Excellence initiatives by supporting Service Excellence training and mentoring opportunities with assigned staff.
- Provides input on website updates regarding training calendars, white papers, technical updates, links to manufacturer’s sites and other relevant market information.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor or designate.
- Minimum of a four-year engineering, sales, marketing, technical or business degree preferred or equivalent in work experience.
- Prior supervisory experience with the minimum of four years of prior sales or marketing experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of industrial automation products and systems preferred.
- Knowledge of the SAP materials management system and its reporting capabilities is preferred.
- Must be able to read, write and speak in English.
- Prefer strong working knowledge of PC for Windows, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Access, and PowerPoint), Internet, Email and SAP software.
Border States is a leader in the electrical supply distribution industry with over 100 locations in 20 states. Our employee-owners are second to none in delivering top-notch customer service and in demonstrating extra-ordinary people skills. We are one of the largest independent electrical distributors in the United States providing products and services to the construction, industrial and utility industries. Border States has a competitive benefit package and is a 100 percent employee-owned company. Employee-ownership is a significant part of our culture and our success stems from the dedication of our employee-owners. We practice open-book management and our employee-owners are empowered with clearly defined levels of authority to be innovative and decisive, allowing us to respond quickly to the needs of customers. Employee-owners understand their roles in the success of the company and care about customers’ needs, which drives our focus on adding value to everything we do. We recognize that not all customers are the same and each has specific requirements. Our employee-owners understand these diverse needs and have the commitment, resourcefulness and flexibility to outperform all others.
As a Border States employee-owner, you’re responsible for living our mission, service philosophy and service standards.
Border States provides value to our customers by delivering innovative product and supply chain solutions.
We earn customer loyalty and confidence by caring about their needs and adding value to everything we do.
Border States employee-owners are competent, accurate, responsive, and engaged .
Join an experienced team at one of the largest electrical distributors in the United States. What are you waiting for?