Product Design Operations Manager
Product Design Operations ManagerThe Design Operations Manager is a critical member of Product Design at Target, working horizontally across UX, Research, and Accessibility to build a highly effective design infrastructure. With a goal of ease of collaboration and team effectiveness they will manage our Design Systems, tools and contracts, automate design tools and libraries across teams and own continuous improvement of our processes in the increasingly complex world of Product Design. Specific to Design Systems, the Operations Manager will work to meet the objective to accelerate the evolution of guest experiences at Target by equipping designers and developers to collaborate, prototype and distribute interface solutions.The Operations Manager will also focus on building and nurturing our design community - both internally and externally. They will seek out speaking and partnership opportunities and identify talent within our team to represent Target and our work. They will keep a pulse on industry events and ways to meet candidates for our roles and support our broader community, building the Target Product Design brand externally. For our team, they will partner with Learning & Development along with other partners, to bring the right training and professional development to our specialty. For candidates considering joining our team, they will strive to ensure the best candidate experience possible. They will take the lead in forming and nurturing a new entry-level experience within the Product Design team with the goal of teaching and building a new bench of talent and also engaging with our community. Be a part of building a first of its kind apprenticeship and career onboarding experience to learn from our broad talent already at Target. The Design Operations Manager is able to form relationships with designers across different teams and will work closely with Target Creative, Marketing, Product, Design and Engineering to continuously improve our team's processes, tools and external relationships that will create the best workplace for the best guest experiences to be made.Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. Take the lead as you…
- Oversee the work to consolidate and systematize all patterns currently in production on Target.com and make them available to all designers within the digital product organization.
- Identify opportunities for process and operational improvements, build out plans and then execute to high levels of detail for a large team.
- Follow through on delivery on improvements to our operations and nurture them over time and at scale.
- Consult with other teams across Target (e.g., Target.com Product Teams, Target Creative, Guest Center of Excellence, etc.) to ensure efficiencies in tools and processes that make our team better.
- Create, implement and automate design tools and processes to empower and amplify designers, with an approach of continuous learning and improvement through internal research to understand what processes work best for all role involved
- Manage and negotiate vendor contracts and relationships for any external tools the designers and researcher require
- Empower the entire Product Design team by removing obstacles and inefficiencies proactively
- Assist with recruitment of candidates and ensuring their experience when interviewing at Target is top-notch
- Identify community engagement opportunities and events and align team attendance to represent Target externally
- Seek out and identify speaking opportunities for the team and assist team members in speaking engagements
- Collaborate wildly with others including other designers, engineers, product managers, QA staff, accessibility team members, and partners in marketing.
- Create a measurement of success for Design Ops processes and match this to Product Design OKRs.
- Manage and nurture an entry-level program for growing Product Design and Research talent which may include interns or apprentices on a rotation through Product areas to ensure we are building a bench of viable talent in efficient and successful ways.
- 5+ years experience in project management, operations or related experience, ideally in a product design, technical or creative setting.
- Experience working with a variety of design related roles including UX, Product and visual designers.
- A background in active mentorship and a passion for managing junior level talent through teaching and coaching
- An understanding of design systems, design tools, research methods and what it takes to build digital products
- Experience working with vendor relationships including negotiating and managing contracts and agreements at scale.
- Must work well independently and have the ability to successfully lead large-scale projects and initiatives involving multiple cross-functional teams
- Must be a self-starter who is passionate about continuous improvement and processes.
- Must be an exceptional collaborator and persuader
- Must be able to work well in a matrixed environment
- Must be able to manage multiple concurrent projects/initiatives and know when to prioritize one over another