Water Resources Scientist
Days: Monday - Friday
Hiring rate or hiring range: Based on qualifications
Responsible for monitoring, maintaining and restoring the quality of all SMSC surface water and groundwater within the rules, ordinances, guidelines and policies established by the General Council, the Business Council and the federal law.
Assist in budget preparation for grant application. Assists in grant management.
- Monitor surficial aquifers. Organize, summarize and analyze results/data.
- Monitors surface water quality and quantity. Conducts tests and field investigations to obtain data for use in determining sources and methods of controlling pollutants in surface water and groundwater.
- Collects precipitation data. Examine the form and intensity of precipitation, and rate of infiltration into the soil.
- Collects water samples from streams and lakes, or raw, semi-processed or processed water, industrial waste water, or water from other sources to assess pollution problem. Performs chemical and physical laboratory and field tests on collected samples to assess compliance with pollution standards, using test instruments.
- Utilize, maintain and calibrate scientific equipment.
- Models and writes reports on subsurface water flow and levels. Maintains database on water consumption and provides use forecasts. Develops proposals for water conservation.
- Assists in grant reporting.
- Drafts, updates, reviews and implements management plans, especially those concerning groundwater. Conducts water resource research activities. Observe and analyze research activities to determine future behavior of hydrologic systems (water flow, water quality).
- Develop and conduct environmental education for community members, staff and youth.
- Bachelor's of Science degree in hydrology, geology or related field.
- Four years of related work experience with extensive knowledge of hydrology and geology.
- Background in conducting research activities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Intermediate computer proficiency to include word processing, electronic mail, and related business software.
- Must be detailed oriented and disciplined to perform routine task under adverse conditions.
- Valid driver's license required with a good driving record.