PRIMARY DUTIES and Responsibilities:
- Verify client insurance coverage
- Prepare bank deposit; review, batch, and total service charge sheets and payments for data entry by outside billing service.
- Update service charge sheets with new clients and changes in funding or insurance and submit changes to outside billing service.
- Partner with clinical staff to ensure timely prior authorizations when needed.
- Prepare complete and accurate billing to government agencies monthly.
- Provide back-up coverage for front desk staff.
- Work to resolve unpaid balances owed as detailed on monthly accounts receivable aging reports.
- Partner with outside billing service to resolve payment issues and problems and collect unpaid claims from insurance carriers.
- Assist in identifying trends/problems in insurance reimbursement and denials and in developing solutions.
- Partner with outside collection agency for past due amounts owed by inactive clients.
- Write up bad debts for uncollectible accounts.
- Review client statements monthly and work with front desk staff to ensure collection of client past due amounts and to set up payment plans.
- Provide explanation to clients, when needed, of account balances, charge and payment history, and insurance coverage as it relates to client responsible balances.
- Manage the credit balance refund process and ensure timely refunds.
- Review payment reports by provider for calculating commissions before sending to payroll.
- Maintain electronic client billing files.
- Review, balance and maintain electronic monthly reports from billing service.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree required in healthcare management,medical billing, business, accounting or related field or significant equivalent in experience.
- Experience in a healthcare setting including psychologist, physician, or dental office, insurance/HMO, or other community agency.
- Experience with medical billing software essential.
- Experience with electronic health records preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- MS Office skills essential.
- Accurate, detail oriented, with good math skills.
- Excellent customer service skills required. Ability to be calm, respectful, and courteous.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong time management, problem-solving and prioritization skills.
- Ability to take initiative and manage competing deadlines.
- Ability to concentrate in a busy office environment and respond to frequent interruptions.
Alpha Human Services is a residential and outpatient community corrections treatment program for sex offenders. Alpha’s mission is to provide treatment for sex offenders, their families, and sexual abuse victims; to alleviate the pain and suffering caused by sexual abuse; to reduce or extinguish the occurrence and recurrence of sexual abuse; and to be an educational resource for other agencies, government, and society.
Alpha has been providing treatment services for over 40 years. The residential program is licensed and certified by the Minnesota Department of Corrections. Both programs employ administrative and business office staff, clinical and intake staff as well as support staff. Clinical staff include: Licensed Psychologists, Licensed Independent Clinical Social Workers, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists as well as Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors. Our current opening is for an Outpatient Reimbursement Specialist in our business office located in Uptown Minneapolis.
For more information, visit our website at www.alphaservices.org.