Assistant/Associate Professor (Illustration) Design
The Design Department of the Minneapolis College of Art and Design seeks candidates for a full-time faculty position in Illustration, rank commensurate with experience. We encourage applicants who can demonstrate through their teaching, research and service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community. The illustration program offers its students a robust and distinct learning experience with an array of professional practice. MCAD illustrators learn to be conceptual thinkers and visual storytellers, through traditional, digital and hybrid forms of illustration. Given its commitment, the Design department requires a passionate and energetic faculty member who is dedicated to art education and creative practice. The successful candidate will teach a full-time load of three classes per semester, advise students, monitor student learning outcomes, collaborate with other college departments, provide administrative support, and serve on college committees. Courses taught may include technical and conceptual topics and issues over a broad range of levels, from introductory to advanced. Responsibilities include curriculum review and reform, and identifying professional collaborative opportunities in the greater community.
The position begins mid-August 2018 and reports to the Chair of Design. MCAD offers renewable, long-term contracts based on a clearly defined peer-review process.
· Applicants should hold an MFA degree and demonstrate experience as a practicing illustrator with an established national reputation and significant record of creative achievement.
· Innovative thinking and professional level experience with traditional illustration, as well as digital technology and publishing
· Knowledge of historical and contemporary artists and events that have shaped the field of illustration, and current knowledge of issues related to professional business practices
· Demonstrated proficiency to lecture effectively and conduct studio demonstrations in methods and media, and develop and update pedagogical objectives, digital or traditional
· Ability to create and revise curricula that develops diverse subject matter and application within illustration, as well as its intersection with design
· College and university level teaching experience, minimum three years
The successful candidates will also have:
· An ability to inspire and motivate students
· Enthusiasm for innovative teaching methods such as experiential and interactive learning
· An interest in collaboration and experimental projects with studio colleagues
· An ability to connect the program to practicing illustrators and the industry
The illustration program produces graduates that are makers, thinkers, designers, and artists. MCAD illustration students are passionate about sketchbooks and painting but are also fluent in current technology. Traditional media, digital knowledge and conceptual thinking are the building blocks of the illustration experience at MCAD. We aim to create illustrators who can interpret a wide range of topics and stories. The curricula prepare students for a robust studio practice in a variety of professional applications, among them editorial, surface design and packaging, children’s books, licensing, and professional practice. The illustration program is the largest program in the Design Department. MCAD Illustration has received national recognition with numerous awards for student work.
Founded in 1886, the Minneapolis College of Art and Design is a private, nonprofit teaching institution located in the Twin Cities. MCAD is an independent, accredited institution with 14 BFA degree programs in Fine Arts, Media Arts, Design, and Entrepreneurial Studies, and an established MFA program and online MA degrees. Dedicated to the creative and professional success of its students, MCAD is an important participant in the Twin Cities' thriving cultural community that is furthered by the generous support of numerous private foundations. Ranked as the 16th largest metropolitan area in the nation, the area hosts 18 Fortune 500 Companies and seven of the largest private companies in the country. In2014, CBRE rated Minneapolis as the greenest city in the nation. Notable cultural institutions include the Walker Art Center, the Guthrie Theater, the Minneapolis Institute of Art and the Weisman Art Museum. In addition, the Twin Cities are well known for the quality of their live theater, musical venues, galleries, art film houses and festivals, as well as a full array of professional sports teams.
MCAD offers a flexible and comprehensive benefit plan including medical, dental and 403(b) pension plans. After six months of service faculty receive free MCAD tuition for themselves, spouse and dependent children, and dependents may be eligible for free tuition at more than 600 colleges nation-wide.
Deadline: Priority will be given to those who respond by January 8, 2018.
To ensure full consideration, complete application materials must be received by January 08, 2018. Preliminary interviews will be conducted byGoToMeeting. A background check will be made prior to employment.
Applications should include:
- Letter of application stating how experience and credentials fulfill the requirements for this position
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- URL of professional website and/or professional work samples (up to 20 images)
- Samples of relevant student work (up to 20 images)
- Complete information for three professional references: names, institutional affiliations, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers
- Transcript of degree, showing coursework appropriate to position (copies are acceptable); official transcript required prior to employment.
- Salary requirements
Electronic application procedure:
- Submit all materials in a single PDF file in the order as listed above (1-8).
- Limit PDF file to size 15MB or less and title the file as follows:
last name_first name_design_faculty.pdf
- Email complete application file to firstname.lastname@example.org with applicant’s last name in the subject line
- All correspondence regarding the search will be conducted via email. Please send any inquiries to email@example.com and include job Illustration Faculty Search in all correspondence.
- Only complete applications will be eligible for consideration.