Purchasing Supervisor - Natural Gas Market
Be part of a growing, successful company in an exciting and challenging field. Border States is 100% employee-owned, which means you’re empowered to make decisions, find solutions and receive rewards for your hard work.
Leads and supervises the day-to-day operations of a team of purchasing and supplier performance management staff. Responsible for staffing and developing a team of purchasing and supplier management professionals. Strong emphasis on coaching, employee development, training, succession planning, and workload balancing. Leads assigned projects, process improvement, and innovation initiatives. Provides oversight, leadership, and engagement for supplier core teams with key suppliers. Maintains a minimum level of operational and tactical purchasing responsibilities to ensure closeness with processes and facilitate engagement with branch employees
- Leads and supervises purchasing team employees with an emphasis on building a strong team.
- Coordinates daily performance issues, approves work schedules and communicates with all other appropriate functional areas as needed.
- Establishes individual and team goals consistent with company customer service, inventory asset performance, marketing and operational objectives.
- Leads the use of vital factor tools, processes and methodology to ensure adherence to the process with diligent focus on goal setting, accountability, and achievement of goals.
- Assesses the ongoing balance of team workload, including assignment of new stocking vendors to purchasing team members.
- Collaborates with purchasing supervisory team to develop and execute process improvements and new processes.
- Leads and executes assigned projects and initiatives based on the annual department plan; projects may include M&A-related ERP integration work, supplier conversions, technology implementations, reporting tool creation, metric development, etc.
- Leads effective change management within team and department.
- Administers and coordinates the SAP purchasing and inventory system functions on assigned product families including, but not limited to, stock purchase orders, plant to plant stock transfers, MRP and forecasting, and related maintenance of SAP master records.
- Manages supply flow on assigned product families through consistent communication with applicable branch and supplier contacts.
- Drives consistent use of inventory service management tools and other exception reports and tools to identify critical inventory situations and works with branches and vendors to resolve questions related to these materials.
- Improves inventory performance through reduction of overstock and non-stock inventories.
- Executes vendor returns, branch-to-branch transfers to prevent future dead inventory.
- Coordinates inventory reduction efforts with branch staff, vendors, and other outlets.
- Analyzes inventory requests from sales or marketing teams and implements stocking parameter changes determined to be appropriate.
- Maintains a periodic travel schedule to ensure close and collaborative relationships with branches and regional leadership.
- Assists in development of department budget and lead day-to-day adherence each fiscal year.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor or designate.
- A four-year business or technical degree
- At least two years of experience in an inventory management, supply chain or demand/supply planning role.
- Experience in wholesale distribution is preferred.
- Solid understanding of coaching and team development, procure-to-pay business processes, inventory management and stocking parameters, such as order points, lead times and quantities, and supplier management
- Strong data analysis and manipulation skills
- MS Excel/Access
- Excellent customer service, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills
- Collaborative approach to solving problems that span multiple business units
- Requires the ability to lift over 20 lbs. on an occasional basis, and/or move up to 20 lbs. on a constant basis.
- May require frequent standing, walking, and/or constant sitting.
- These physical requirements must be met with or without accommodation.
- Some travel required.
Border States is a leader in the electrical supply distribution industry with over 100 locations in 20 states. Our employee-owners are second to none in delivering top-notch customer service and in demonstrating extra-ordinary people skills. We are one of the largest independent electrical distributors in the United States providing products and services to the construction, industrial and utility industries. Border States has a competitive benefit package and is a 100 percent employee-owned company. Employee-ownership is a significant part of our culture and our success stems from the dedication of our employee-owners. We practice open-book management and our employee-owners are empowered with clearly defined levels of authority to be innovative and decisive, allowing us to respond quickly to the needs of customers. Employee-owners understand their roles in the success of the company and care about customers’ needs, which drives our focus on adding value to everything we do. We recognize that not all customers are the same and each has specific requirements. Our employee-owners understand these diverse needs and have the commitment, resourcefulness and flexibility to outperform all others.
As a Border States employee-owner, you’re responsible for living our mission, service philosophy and service standards.
Border States provides value to our customers by delivering innovative product and supply chain solutions.
We earn customer loyalty and confidence by caring about their needs and adding value to everything we do.
Border States employee-owners are competent, accurate, responsive, and engaged .
Join an experienced team at one of the largest electrical distributors in the United States. What are you waiting for?