Sr ER Paralegal, Investigations
JOIN US AS A SR. EMPLOYEE RELATIONS PARALEGALAbout This OpportunityConducts investigations required to respond to employment-related charges filed with administrative agencies, drafts written responses to charges, collects pertinent data and responds to agency requests for information on Target's behalf. Assists with legal matters by collecting and organizing information, managing case files, assessing risk based on investigation and making recommendations on defense strategy, providing information and direction to outside counsel, tracking and analyzing data related to administrative charges, and collaborating with Attorneys and Lead ER Paralegals. Builds great team and client relationships.Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As a Sr ER Paralegal, you'll take the lead as you…
- With guidance from Attorneys, conducts the investigations required to respond to employment-related charges filed with administrative agencies, drafts written responses to charges, partners with internal resources to collect and analyze pertinent data and responds to requests for information on Target's behalf. Develops and executes defense strategy with Attorneys and outside counsel, including analysis of risk, to drive favorable results in the most cost-effective manner. Attends mediations on Target's behalf as needed, negotiating as necessary, and makes recommendations on whether to settle claims. Analyzes charge trends to identify training needs.
- Gathers, analyzes and coordinates distribution of relevant documentation and information to outside counsel to ensure timely and accurate filing of responses to administrative charges. Facilitates outside counsel communication with employees. Trains outside counsel on Target policies and practices.
- Works closely with Lead ER Paralegals and Attorneys in providing guidance to HR and ER/LR field partners on managing team member claim situations and assessing company exposure on a variety of other employment-related issues and recommends solutions as appropriate by analyzing pros and cons, alternative strategies, past and best practices, etc. Understands HR and business objectives and strategies.
- Manages the status of claims filed with administrative agencies and keeps Lead ER Paralegals and Attorneys advised of developments; identifies high-risk charges based on investigation and appropriately takes partners to mitigate risk.
- Independently prioritizes own work, and exercises a high level of discretion and independent judgment. Works autonomously to represent the ER team in various ER/LR and cross-functional projects, such as the development of litigation and charge management tools, revisions to company policies or practices related to the employment of team members, and other company-wide initiatives with team member impact.
- Functions as a professional team player within the ER/LR team.
- Four-year degree or equivalent, job-related experience
- Significant experience in a law firm or law department setting (employment law specialty), or strong HR-related professional experience with an understanding of employment law
- Demonstrated ability to perform autonomous work with general guidance rather than direction
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel/Word/PowerPoint
- Strong written, communication, critical thinking, analytical, and collaboration skills
- Ability to establish effective, trusted team and client relationships to gain commitment
- Organized, able to prioritize work
- Work independently; self-directed
- Able to solve complex and sometimes ambiguous problems through extensive fact finding and reporting
- Able to manage multiple large projects with competing timelines in a fast-paced environmentDESIRED REQUIREMENTS
- Paralegal degree or certificate, or other legal training
- Working knowledge of Stores and/or Distribution Operations