Web Front End Developer
Web Front End Developer
2 months ago
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 300114
Department/Unit Marketing, Insights and Communications
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
Special Instructions Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application. | | Candidates invited for an on campus interview should be prepared to perform a brief coding assessment.
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Web Front End Developer position within the Marketing, Insights, and Communications Department.
· Creates and supports the user-facing code and structure of enterprise level websites, applications, and tools for the university community and key audiences. These web assets provide functionality for marketing and institutional business requirements and are presented on external and internal university websites.
· Creates deliverables that cover the spectrum of new development, enhancements or implementations for new or existing sites, applications, and cloud or vendor solutions. Deliverables can include a range of media required for marketing purposes—text, animation, video, etc.
· Has a solid understanding of how websites interact with databases and can perform scripting and trouble shooting.
· Applies technical expertise, experience, critical thinking and knowledge of institutional and/or marketing processes to provide design and scope recommendations for projects. Incumbents communicate and discuss technical concepts with leadership, clients and colleagues regarding projects or issues.
· Follows approved software development life cycle methodologies, updates or creates design documents and prototypes, performs coding and testing, and resolves technical issues through debugging and investigation.
· Maximizes the university's investment in web technologies and in particular, how these technologies support university goals. The deliverables produced may interact with the university's systems of record via administrative, undergraduate and graduate systems, directory interfaces, database queries, reports, content management system or other resources while focusing on customer service and satisfaction in a team-based environment. All work is produced within university brand standards.
· Works within a team environment. These activities include working with others to define solutions, conduct code reviews, create test plans, problem-solve or any other related activities that arise during the development lifecycle. This position works with the team in identifying user scenarios and stories. They also discuss and troubleshoot related concerns, resolve design challenges and prepare potential remedies when working on projects and issues. As a team member, this person will follow and support university and MIC policies and procedures.
· Collaborates through mentoring and the sharing of research, for example on trends, products or benchmarking.
1. Front End application, development, implementation
2. Internal and external maintenance and product support
Supports internally and externally developed and maintained websites and applications. Researches and resolves technically complex web technology support tickets. Manages and/or responds to vendor help tickets. Examples of other activities may include updating third party tools with university branding, translating user requirements into product features, or reviewing and evaluating feature requests through research and/or proof of concept activities.
3. Application quality assurance
Tests deliverables against a range of criteria including enterprise application integration, and cross-browser, cross-platform, and/or cross-device compatibility. Tracks inconsistencies. Tests for compliance to specified standards such as accessibility or usability standards. Ensures applications meet business requirements and approved brand, security, programming and support standards.
4. Team participation
Works closely with MIC and other university colleagues, student employees, developers, external contractors or vendors and others as needed to accomplish department or project goals. Participates in department and/or cross-campus meetings with project team members, clients, users and/or vendors, with an emphasis on providing possible solutions given St. Thomas' technology environment and capabilities.
5. Policy and procedure compliance
Is proficient with and follows procedures for communication guidelines and updates, call/incident tracking, installation & inventory, shared knowledge bases, methodologies and any other required procedures or policies within the MIC department or other parts of the university. Remains current on trending customer issues and concerns. Performs other duties as assigned to ensure MIC obligations are met.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.
Technical Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Content Management Systems: Terminal Four (T4 experience a major plus), WordPress theme and plugin development or others
- Responsive Design, Media Queries
- Version control
- Prototyping (whiteboard, paper, digital)
- Converting designs to working front-end code
- Experience consuming data from and working with RESTful APIs/services.
- Server-side scripting—ability to implement algorithms in PHP or similar language to serve dynamic content to end users
- Software Methodology and Project Development Life Cycle: Experience with industry standard methods such as Agile; track application versions and tasks; log user stories and know how to turn them into development and design tasks; create estimates for various aspects of the development process.
- Testing: perform and/or manage testing such as Unit Testing, Regression Testing, Integration Testing, Cross-Browser Testing, HTML Validation, debugging multitier application front end, and/or CSS Validation.
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated application of user interface design standards
- Maintain knowledge of web technology and digital marketing trends and issues
General Skills, Knowledge/Abilities and Experience:
- Critical thinking and analytical skills
- Systems and problem analysis skills
- Demonstrated experience and persistence in solving complex problems
- Ability to handle emergency situations quickly and calmly
- Demonstrated initiative and discipline related to working independently
- Clear and proactive communicator with technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to gather and/or elicit requirements
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to explain technical information to non-technical individuals, and prepare clear and concise documentation, reports or other written material
- Ability to instruct or mentor others regarding new or revised computer applications, including explaining system concepts to non-technical customers
- Ability to exercise sound independent decisions within established procedural guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Experience working in a team-based environment.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than "Jobs at St. Thomas", the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Special Instructions to Candidates
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.
Candidates invited for an on campus interview should be prepared to perform a brief coding assessment.