Math Placement Tutor
Math Placement Tutor
2 months ago
Number of Openings 2
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 2017-3135
Department/Unit Center for Student Achievement
FLSA Status Non-Exempt/Hourly
Employment Type Part-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible No
Special Instructions Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Math Placement Tutor position within the Center for Student Achievement.
This position is part of an initiative within the Center for Student Achievement to provide support for students who have not yet placed into a credit-bearing math course and need additional support to do so. The math tutor will help students – in individual or small-group settings – work on targeted skills that have been identified by the ALEKS placement system as skills needing improvement in order to gain math placement. The tutor will be expected to complete and maintain tutor records and to maintain the confidentiality of all student-related information. The tutor will also consult with other math placement tutors, the director of the Math Resource Center, the chair of the Mathematics department, and the director of Academic Counseling and Support. Finally, the tutor will be expected to stay up-to-date on best practices and trends in working with students who have not placed into a credit-bearing math class.
1. Work with math placement students individually and in group settings. This involves accurately assessing each student's needs, developing a plan for supporting each student, engaging in pedagogically sound teaching/tutoring methods, and accurately assessing student learning to determine when students are ready to take the math placement tests
2. Consult with other tutors and campus offices to intentionally support students
3. Other duties as assigned (e.g. develop programming/events for students who are working toward math placement)
This is a part-time position and is not eligible for the full University of St. Thomas benefits package. The position is 10-12 hours a week, 12 months out of the year.
B.A. in math, or related discipline and one year of experience working with math students in a teaching or tutoring setting.
- An interest in helping others succeed
- Familiarity with or awareness of the academic needs of students who don't yet have the necessary skills to enroll in a credit-bearing math class
- Sensitivity to the diverse backgrounds of St. Thomas students
- Ability to: clearly communicate challenging material to students, work patiently to help students understand mathematical concepts, listen carefully to students to understand their struggles, help/guide students without doing the work for them
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than "Jobs at St. Thomas", the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Special Instructions to Candidates
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.