1 month ago
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 400079
Department/Unit Service Center - Auxiliary Services
FLSA Status Non-Exempt/Hourly
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
Special Instructions Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Machine Operator position within the Service Center.
This position works in a large variety of areas within the Service Center as needed including: Production of letterhead and envelopes on Xante printers, operating finishing equipment, mounting, laminating, misc. hand work. To assist in a variety of production functions in both printing and mailing at the Service Center.
1. Operate and troubleshoot Xantes for letterhead and envelope production. Maintain inventory of supplies for Xantes and envelope and letterhead stock
2. Work with conventional and wide-format prints including cutting and mounting a variety of media to substrates. Laminate media using SEAL 42" laminator. Install grommets, join large prints using seam tape, install banners into retractable stands, fastframing, etc.
3. Prepare variable data letters and envelopes using MS Word, MS Excel, Marks ware, InDesign and Aqua Mailer.
4. Shipping, receiving and material handling.
5. Set up, operate and troubleshoot all production equipment. Horizon Creaser/folder, Horizon collator/stitcher, cutter and other bindery equipment.
6. Hand-labor projects, e.g. Stuffing envelopes, affixing pressure sensitive labels, counting sorting, sealing envelopes. Digital inkjet addressing system, inserter, folder, tying machine, strapper and tabber. Bundle, sort and sack mailings in preparation for delivery to US Post Office and complete official paperwork for US Postal Service. Hand matching letters to envelopes.
7. Other duties as assigned.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.
Minimum qualifications: High school diploma or the equivalent and two years of experience working in a printing and/or mailing environment. Troubleshooting/mechanical experience essential.
Knowledge in: Extremely good computer skills and experience on PC and Mac including working experience with graphic arts applications such as InDesign, Quark Express, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, etc.; Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and excellent customer service skills required.
Knowledge of: Business arithmetic; basic computer applications (both PC and Mac) related to the work (i.e., InDesign, Quark Xpress, Acrobat, Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel; etc.);
Skill in: Making accurate arithmetic calculations; maintaining accurate records of work performed; understanding and following oral and written directions; working without close supervision in standard work situations; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; performing services supporting activities in printing and copy reproduction duties; safely using hand tools related to the work; organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines; contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities; excellent interpersonal and communication skills; excellent time-management and organizational skills.
Ability to: Work in and move about an office and print shop setting; ability to use a computer and other office equipment; ability to transport materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds; ability to bend, stoop, squat, kneel, and twist; stamina to operate equipment for extended periods of time. Job environment is subject to exposure to loud noise from printing/copying equipment. The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who require and request accommodations in order to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than "Jobs at St. Thomas", the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Special Instructions to Candidates
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.