- Employment Status
- Full Time
- Worthington, Minnesota
- The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is seeking a legal assistant in its Worthington, Minnesota office. The mission of the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is to enhance opportunities for immigrants and refugees through legal representation for low-income individuals, and through education and advocacy with diverse communities. Our goals are to:
- Remedy legal problems by providing quality immigration legal services to low- income immigrants and refugees of all nationalities; and
- Prevent legal problems by providing law-related education to immigrants and refugees of all nationalities;
- Raise public awareness of immigration issues so as to encourage sound public policy that protects the universal human rights of immigrants and is both compassionate and practical.
BACKGROUND: The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota (ILCM) is a 25-person office with five locations in the State of Minnesota including two Saint Paul offices and offices in Moorhead, Worthington, and Austin. ILCM has been in operation for 21 years, and is funded through individual, law firm, corporate, United Way, foundation, and local, state, and federal government support.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Legal Assistant is responsible for providing information, technical assistance, outreach and training, and assistance with legal representation in immigration matters to income-eligible persons of all nationalities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Engage in outreach efforts to immigrant and refugee communities regarding our legal services.
- Conduct intake consultations with potential clients.
- Identify and resolve legal issues on behalf of new clients, accept cases, maintain client files.
- Provide individual and family legal assistance in immigration matters, including some or all of the following: prepare and submit affirmative immigration applications to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), respond to requests for evidence, ensuring that clients receive and understand all notices from USCIS regarding pending applications, prepare clients for interviews with USCIS, and educate clients about their rights and obligations under immigration law.
- Maintain client data in compliance with organization protocols and with state contracts.
- Provide individual information and group presentations about immigration law to agencies that work with the refugee communities.
- Assist in proposal and grant report preparation as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree in related field, paralegal experience, or similar education or training is preferred. Experience in immigration matters is also preferred. Other Skills/Requirements include:
- excellent oral, listening, and written communication skills;
- high level of attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects concurrently;
- familiarity with diverse refugee and immigrant communities, community agencies, and resources;
- demonstrated interest in serving the low-income immigrant and refugee community and experience working with persons of diverse economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds;
- ability to work constructively with others, possess good judgment, learn quickly, and work well independently and under pressure as well as in collaboration with other staff and with other organizations;
- working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, database experience a plus; and
- fluency in Spanish preferred.
SALARY: Salary is dependent on experience. Benefits include paid-time-off; health, dental, life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance; and retirement plan with employer matching.
APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please forward cover letter and resume to email@example.com or mail to ILCM Legal, 450 North Syndicate St., Ste. 200, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55104. For further information on the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, please visit www.ilcm.org.
Apply for Legal Assistant
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly