- Employment Status
- Full Time
- Worthington, Minnesota
- The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is seeking a staff attorney in its Worthington, Minnesota office. The mission of the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is to enhance opportunities for immigrants and refugees through legal representation for low-income individuals, and through education and advocacy with diverse communities. Our goals are to:
- Remedy legal problems by providing quality immigration legal services to low- income immigrants and refugees of all nationalities; and
- Prevent legal problems by providing law-related education to immigrants and refugees of all nationalities;
- Raise public awareness of immigration issues to encourage sound public policy that protects the universal human rights of immigrants and is both compassionate and practical.
BACKGROUND: The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota (ILCM) is a 25-person office with five locations in the State of Minnesota including two Saint Paul offices and offices in Moorhead, Worthington, and Austin. ILCM has been in operation for 21 years, and is funded through individual, law firm, corporate, United Way, foundation, and local, state, and federal government support.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Staff Attorney is responsible for representation in immigration matters; and information, technical assistance, outreach, and training to income-eligible persons of all nationalities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provide representation to individuals and families in immigration matters, including some or all of the following: prepare and submit affirmative immigration applications to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), respond to requests for evidence, ensure that clients receive and understand communications from USCIS regarding their applications, prepare and represent clients in interviews with USCIS, and educate clients about their rights and obligations under immigration law.
- Provide deportation defense and related legal services to clients in immigration court and with immigration administrative and federal appeals.
- Engage in outreach efforts to immigrant and refugee communities regarding our legal services.
- Conduct intake consultations with potential clients.
- Identify and resolve legal issues on behalf of new clients, accept cases, maintain client files.
- Maintain client data in compliance with organization protocols and in compliance with grants and contracts.
- Provide information about immigration law to agencies who work with the immigrant and refugee communities, on a one-to-one basis and through presentations.
- Assist in grant proposal and report preparation as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: J.D. degree and admission to a state bar. Experience in immigration matters strongly preferred. Other Skills/Requirements include:
- Excellent oral, listening, and written communication skills;
- high level of attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects concurrently;
- familiarity with diverse refugee and immigrant communities, community agencies, and resources;
- demonstrated interest in serving the low-income immigrant and refugee community and experience working with persons of diverse economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds;
- ability to work constructively with others, possess good judgment, learn quickly, and work well independently and under pressure as well as in collaboration with other staff and with other organizations;
- working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, immigration form program and case database experience a plus; and
- fluency in second language preferred.
SALARY: Salary is dependent on experience. Benefits include paid-time-off; health, dental, life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance; and retirement plan with employer matching.
APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please forward cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to ILCM Legal, 450 North Syndicate St., Ste. 200, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55104. For further information on the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, please visit www.ilcm.org.
Apply for Staff Attorney
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly