- Saint Paul, Minnesota
- The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is seeking a Policy Advocate in its Saint Paul, Minnesota office. The mission of the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota is to enhance opportunities for immigrants and refugees through legal representation for low-income individuals, and through education and advocacy with diverse communities. Our goals are to:
- Remedy legal problems by providing quality immigration legal services to low- income immigrants and refugees of all nationalities; and
- Prevent legal problems by providing law-related education to immigrants and refugees of all nationalities;
- Raise public awareness of immigration issues to encourage sound public policy that protects the universal human rights of immigrants and is both compassionate and practical.
BACKGROUND: The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota (ILCM) is a 25-person office with five locations in the State of Minnesota including two Saint Paul offices and offices in Moorhead, Worthington, and Austin. ILCM has been in operation for 21 years, and is funded through individual, law firm, corporate, United Way, foundation, and local, state, and federal government support.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Policy Advocate is responsible for advancing effective strategies to affect positive change and to defend against anti-immigrant initiatives. The Policy Advocate will work directly with the Executive Director on Federal, State, and local immigration policy planning, strategy, education, and leadership for diverse audiences from the immigrant community, grass roots organizations, community leaders, and elected officials at all levels.
Responsibilities will include:
- Research and write materials that advance the public policy efforts at ILCM including fact sheets, media releases, and action alerts.
- Conduct research and analysis of policy proposals that impact immigrants and refugees.
- Identify other analyses and research that may further the public policy efforts at ILCM.
- Build diverse relationships and participate in coalitions and other strategic and community-based activities that advance the public policy efforts at ILCM.
- Provide data, research, and other information to decision makers, media, other advocates, and the community through multiple communication tools, on both federal, state and local immigration issues.
- Monitor legislative activity and create a participatory environment for community engagement organizing, testimony, and other avenues for action efforts.
- Assist in grant proposal and report preparation as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree in related field or similar education and/or demonstrated professional experience in immigration law or policy. Other Skills/Requirements include:
- English plus fluency or proficiency in one of the following languages preferred: Spanish, Hmong or Somali.
- Excellent oral, listening, and written communication skills.
- High level of attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Demonstrated interest in serving the low-income immigrant and refugee community and experience working with persons of diverse economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Ability to work constructively with persons of all backgrounds; possess good judgment and diplomacy; learn quickly; work well independently and under pressure; and ;collaborate with other staff, public officials, and other organizations.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office program and social media. Database experience a plus.
SALARY: Salary is dependent on experience. Benefits include paid-time-off; health, dental, life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance; and retirement plan with employer matching.
APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please forward cover letter and resume to email@example.com or mail to ILCM Legal, 450 North Syndicate St., Ste. 200, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55104. For further information on the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, please visit www.ilcm.org.