Job Description Summary: The role of the Officer is to balance enforcement of campus policies, Minnesota and Federal law while trying to assist many constituents’ needs, often with incomplete information, and the need to maintain positive relations with the campus community. Each officer will become thoroughly familiar with all areas of assignment for the purpose of assisting community members, preventing crime through active patrols and engagement of community members and guests, and apprehending those engaged in activities of a criminal or disruptive nature. Each officer must successfully complete all training, including initial and annual use of force training.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
• Building/Grounds patrol (foot, bike, vehicle).
• Investigate city, state, federal criminal violations, university policies and provide initial response for crimes, emergencies and accidents.
• Liaison with police, fire, and medical responders.
• Apprehend and control person engaged in criminal or disruptive acts.
• Conduct preliminary and follow-up investigations. Write detailed narrative reports.
• Enforce MN, State, Federal laws and Hamline University policies.
• Respond to all emergencies using the NIMS and ICS structure (Must complete NIMS & ICS courses within 6 months of hire).
• Operate the fire alarm system and supervise evacuations.
• FETI Interview technique training and application.
• Safety Escorts, Unlocks/Locks; all other calls for service.
• Perform dispatch duties as necessary (CCTV system, card access).
• Trespass individuals from the campus as appropriate.
• Provide excellent customer service to our community.
• All other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to respond effectively and respectfully to people of all cultures, in a manner that affirms the worth and preserves the dignity of individuals, families and communities.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and nonverbal.
• Ability to write detailed reports in a clear and effective manner.
• Experience and sensitivity working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
• Base knowledge of Clery, Title IX and MN Sexual Assault Law for Higher Ed.
• Ability to pass initial and annual defensive tactics training.
• Knowledge and understanding of MN, state, federal laws and Hamline University policies.
Minimum Education/ Experience:
• High School Diploma or GED.
• A valid driver’s license.
• Excellent communication skills.
• 1+ year of working with basic computer programs (Word, Excel, etc).
• Ability to respond to varied dynamic, stressful incidents and make critical decisions in a timely manner with limited supervision.
• Ability to work nights and weekend shifts.
Preferred Education/ Experience:
• 1+ year of security training or security experience at an institution of higher education.
• Have completed a 2 or 4 year degree program, or currently enrolled to obtain one.
• Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) certification.
Please apply online: http://hamline.peopleadmin.com/postings/5962