Executive Vice President of Real Estate
The Executive Vice President (EVP) of Real Estate is a senior leadership position at CommonBond Communities (CommonBond) and offers a unique opportunity to direct all real estate activities at CommonBond while helping shape the future of the organization. The EVP will join at an exciting time for CommonBond, which under the leadership of a dynamic President/CEO, is growing and diversifying its real estate activities to reduce dependence on government funding and expand its capital resources to include mission investing sources.
The EVP of Real Estate will lead a strategic and coordinated real estate business within CommonBond, encompassing the distinct functions of acquisition and development of both subsidized/regulated and unsubsidized/unregulated multi-family housing, portfolio asset management and preservation, construction management, capital needs planning and oversight, real estate and investor compliance.
The EVP of Real Estate reports directly to the President/CEO and will be part of a five-person executive team that also includes the CFO, EVP of Housing and Services, and EVP of Resource Development. This EVP will drive long-term real estate strategy, and lead business area operational initiatives and associated annual plan efforts. The EVP of Real Estate will manage the program aspects of the annual budget and prioritize business area requirements to maximize new development and preservation activity, sustain the financial health and sustainability of the organization’s portfolio, and fulfill the organization’s mission.
Strategic and Organizational Leadership
• Contribute to the strategic vision and plan for the organization working closely with the CEO and members of the organization’s Executive Team. The EVP will also partner closely with the Wisconsin Market Leader in their efforts to identify and expand real estate presence, and in the organization and provision of Real Estate team assets to that market.
• Participate in the review of organizational performance against both immediate and long-term goals and strategies. Communicate and articulate progress against Real Estate performance metrics and goals on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis. Participate significantly in organizational budget development.
• Partner with the CEO and other CommonBond leaders on targeted efforts that maximize organizational performance.
• Stay abreast of organizational goals, programs, and projects—and communicate this information in clear and compelling ways.
• Marshall necessary resources toward strategies that maximize impact and ensure long-term organizational sustainability.
• Promote a collaborative approach between Real Estate functions and staff across the organization that supports consistent and sustainable real estate development transactions, and strengthens CommonBond.
Business Area Leadership
• Provide vision and inspiring leadership across the Real Estate area by setting direction and prioritizing activities for new development, recapitalization, and asset management.
• Lead growth in affordable rental acquisitions, preservations, and mixed income developments.
• Participate in the ongoing design of NOAH business activities and operationalize that strategy as the business plan is finalized.
• Provide leadership to staff in structuring successful real estate transactions by drawing on previous experience, incorporating market and other research, determining consistency with strategic goals, and underwriting financing.
• Oversee strategic and prudent management of the CommonBond real estate portfolio.
• Develop, evaluate, and mentor direct and indirect reports, by providing guidance in goal setting, problem solving, resource management, and outcome achievement as well as technical advice.
• Develop staff capacity and processes that ensure the organization is best in class and establish an environment that promotes teamwork. Ensure regular performance reviews and personnel development. Lead succession-planning efforts for business area.
• Provide guidance on staff responsibilities and hold ultimate staffing responsibility. Identify Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) that advance strategic direction.
• Monitor, measure, and report on real estate, portfolio, and operational issues, plans and achievements to the CEO and Board of Directors.
• Set and manage comprehensive budget and full P&L responsibility for business area.
• Identify and evaluate risk to CommonBond’s staff, clients, management, donors, and volunteers, Board of Directors, property, finances, goodwill, and image. Monitor measures to control risk.
• Ensure continuous quality improvement. Approve pilot for initiatives and allocation of resources.
• Represent CommonBond Communities as a key executive leader with external groups, organizations, and communities.
• Engage with external partners and potential partners to develop excellent working relationships; negotiate, implement, and monitor contracts with partners.
• Build working relationships and regularly communicate with stakeholders, Board of Directors, and agencies to deliver on CommonBond's mission, vision, and values.
• Report on real estate activities to the CommonBond Housing Board of Directors.
• Identify opportunities that impact strategy or activities of the business area or the organization.
• Education: Strong educational background including an undergraduate degree. MBA, or similar advanced degree preferred.
• Professional Background: Strong and proven experience in finance, real estate development, asset or portfolio management, or real estate operations is preferred. Demonstrated credibility on real estate transactions, combined with a strong interest in strengthening and building the organization and portfolio for the long term. Working knowledge of affordable housing development and finance. Experience with market-rate, multi-family, mixed-use, and mixed-income housing desired.
• Passion for CommonBond’s Mission: Energized by the desire to provide affordable housing and services, and to lead efforts that can be a catalyst for positive community change.
• Strategic Leadership Abilities: Ten to fifteen years of professional experience overall, with a minimum of ten years of increasing leadership responsibility at a senior level, supervising seasoned staff operating multiple programs or business lines. Compelling vision and leadership that can be translated in a powerful manner to internal and external stakeholders. Capacity to create and execute meaningful strategies that will contribute to sustainable growth and advancement.
• Creativity and Entrepreneurial Spirit: Ambitious and creative orientation to continuous improvement and increased productivity. Attune to emerging and industry-leading strategies for fundraising, marketing, relationship management, and program design. Willingness to try new approaches and ability to motivate others to follow suit.
• Relationship Management: Ability to collaborate, cultivate, and maintain strong relationships and partnerships. Can balance organizational needs and requirements with Real Estate business area goals and objectives. Transparent and purposeful in building collaborations across the team as well as between the team and the balance of the organization.
• Partnerships: Proficiency in the support and involvement of others in the advancement of Real Estate efforts and strategies. Ability to collaborate, cultivate and maintain strong relationships. Able to negotiate skillfully, internally or externally, and wins concessions without damaging relationships. Is direct as well as diplomatic and quickly gains trust of all parties. Capable of self-direction and autonomy, and able to work with people across a broad spectrum of age, culture, economic, ethnic, and institutional backgrounds.
• Organizational Management: Strong personnel management and organizational planning skills. Commitment to data-driven strategy development, decision making, and implementation.
• Communication Skills: Excellent verbal, written, communication and presentation skills. Top level interpersonal and facilitation skills.
• Positive Presence: Articulate, optimistic, energetic, and respectful. Willingness to invite input from each person and share ownership. Commitment to making everyone feel his/her work is important, and to leading by example. Dedicated to integrity and excellence in her/his work.
• Building Effective Teams: Ability to blend people into teams and create strong morale and spirit. Capable of sharing successes and disappointments, and fostering open dialogue. Ability to clearly and comfortably delegate both routine and important tasks and decisions whenever possible. Can leverage the skills and experience of the team. Genuine interest in mentoring and developing staff.
For more information or to submit your credentials, please email email@example.com. All inquiries will remain confidential