Product Specialist - MRO and Safety
Be part of a growing, successful company in an exciting and challenging field. Border States is 100% employee-owned, which means you’re empowered to make decisions, find solutions and receive rewards for your hard work.
This position will be located in: Pewaukee, WI
The Product Specialist for MRO and Safety products is a hands-on, technical resource to support the sales staff in promoting sales, growing sales, and providing technical support and product application knowledge. The Product Specialist is a goal oriented, outgoing, personable and highly motivated market development resource to support the sales team within their assigned region. Works closely with Border States’ sales and marketing staff to meet and exceed sales and gross profit objectives. The product specialist:
- Drives market development of Maintenance Repair and Operations (MRO) and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) products.
- Has experience with hand and power tools, material handling and protective safety equipment in an industrial plant or commercial construction environment and enjoys technical training and learning how to solve customer problems.
- Supports and promotes sales within the region in support of the sales plan under the direction of regional sales management. Achieves sales and service goals as established in the regionals sales plan.
- Operates, schedules, coordinates and maintains the MRO demo truck. Makes joint sales calls with account managers to secure new business and perform other sales functions for technical products and services, by providing customers field support, product demonstrations and application support.
- Conducts customer and branch personnel training.
- Performs hands on technical demonstrations for customers at jobsites, industrial production facilities, construction locations, and customer tradeshows.
- Consults with customers on inventory management solutions with a focus on industrial vending, vendor managed inventory (VMI) applications and e-commerce.
- Leads sales presentations using a consultative selling and problem solving approach.
- Has a strong commercial and technical background on industrial vending / inventory management services.
- Provides support and interaction with customer’s engineering staff, procurement, and maintenance personnel.
- Documents customer cost savings using the companies TCCM process.
- Evaluates demo equipment and makes suggestions for new products in specified product areas. Ensures existing demos are in functional condition.
- Ensures branches within the region are merchandising and promoting MRO products according to the corporate schedule and standards.
- Maintains training certification and stays current with industry trends and proposed and emerging safety standards for the construction, utility and industrial industry.
- Actively participates in the marketing, planning, and sale of Border States’ MRO products and services.
- Participates in monthly meeting for training and to review goals and target account progress.
- Participates in, organizes, attends and assists with sales meetings, trade shows and training programs.
This position requires the ability to lift up to 50lbs on an occasional basis, and/or move up to 10-25lbs on a frequent basis, and/or move 0-10lbs on a constant basis. This position may require constant basis. This position may require constant standing and/or walking and/or frequent sitting.
Adheres to BSE’s mission, values, culture, policies, procedures, service philosophy and standards. Performs all aspects of the job as accurately and efficiently as possible while providing service excellence at all times. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor or designate.Qualifications
- Minimum of a two-year technical degree preferred or the equivalent in work experience.
- Prefer knowledge and technical competence in understanding tools, safety and consumable products in the industrial and commercial construction market.
- Minimum of two-years of prior customer service, industrial or electrical distribution, marketing, counter sales or sales experience preferred with knowledge of BSE product lines and applications, alternate product substitutes, and supplier policies.
- Inventory management experience helpful.
- Requires the ability interact positively with a variety of customer job classifications and personalities across industry segments.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication and customer service skills are preferred with the ability to effectively plan and organize.
- 60% travel is required.
- Ability to read, write and speak in English preferred.
- Prefer strong working knowledge of PC for Windows, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint), Internet, Email and SAP software.
- Excellent customer service skills include being competent, accurate, responsive and engaged.
Border States is a leader in the electrical supply distribution industry with over 100 locations in 20 states. Our employee-owners are second to none in delivering top-notch customer service and in demonstrating extra-ordinary people skills. We are one of the largest independent electrical distributors in the United States providing products and services to the construction, industrial and utility industries. Border States has a competitive benefit package and is a 100 percent employee-owned company. Employee-ownership is a significant part of our culture and our success stems from the dedication of our employee-owners. We practice open-book management and our employee-owners are empowered with clearly defined levels of authority to be innovative and decisive, allowing us to respond quickly to the needs of customers. Employee-owners understand their roles in the success of the company and care about customers’ needs, which drives our focus on adding value to everything we do. We recognize that not all customers are the same and each has specific requirements. Our employee-owners understand these diverse needs and have the commitment, resourcefulness and flexibility to outperform all others.
As a Border States employee-owner, you’re responsible for living our mission, service philosophy and service standards.
Border States provides value to our customers by delivering innovative product and supply chain solutions.
We earn customer loyalty and confidence by caring about their needs and adding value to everything we do.
Border States employee-owners are competent, accurate, responsive, and engaged .
Join an experienced team at one of the largest electrical distributors in the United States. What are you waiting for?