Interpreter I (Historic Site Guide)
DESCRIPTION: The Minnesota Historical Society (MNHS) seeks applicants for an Interpreter I (Historic Site Guide), Oliver H. Kelley Farm to engage, educate and entertain visitors through interpretive programming, to provide customer service and to assist in the daily operations of the Oliver H. Kelley Farm.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) provide interpretive services using a variety of interpretive and teaching techniques; 2) receive, welcome, and orient visitors to the historic site grounds and facility; 3) assist in the daily operations of the farm site and its programs; 4) study site related materials to enhance the delivery of the site’s interpretive program;
5) utilize skill sets to effectively engage visitors and complete domestic activities; and 6) assist with the maintenance and protection of the site buildings, grounds, collections and clothing.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
• Experience in teaching, museum or natural history interpretation, or theater.
• Ability to perform heavy manual tasks related to gardening, agriculture and horticulture in outdoor programming areas in all types of weather conditions.
• Ability and flexibility to work a varied schedule of three - five consecutive days/week, including weekdays, weekends (Saturday/Sunday) and holidays. The bulk of the hours are scheduled between March 15 and Nov. 15.
• College course work in history, education, agriculture, communications or a related field.
• Two years’ experience and knowledge of teaching, museum interpretation or public speaking.
• Experience with retail sales, phone, and receptionist work.
• Knowledge of the history of the Kelley Family, the Grange, and Minnesota rural life 1850-1876.
• Knowledge of and experience with vegetable gardening.
• Knowledge of and experience with farm animals such as hogs, cattle and sheep.
• Knowledge of and experience with natural history interpretation.
• Experience working with a diverse audience of varying cultural backgrounds, ages and abilities.
Should you have questions with the application process, e-mail email@example.com or call MNHS Job Line at 651-259-3181. Applicants offered employment are subject to passing a background check as a condition of employment.