Community Center Lead - Aquatics
Community Center Lead - Aquatics
Status: Part-time/Temporary/Seasonal (PTS) position, non-exempt
Salary: Starts at $15.00 to $20.00 per hour, depending on qualifications
Locations: Eden Prairie Community Center, Oak Point Pool, Round Lake Beach, and Riley Lake Park Beach
Hours: Hours will vary based on season, with weekly average throughout the year approximately 28 hours. Nights, weekends, and special events are required.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Recreation Supervisor - Aquatics
Community Center Division
The Community Center Division of the Park and Recreation department has the responsibility for managing the Eden Prairie Community Center, Oak Point Pool, City beaches and Park Facility Rental. The Community Center team provides a variety of extensive recreation programs and services for all age groups and all abilities. This division is also responsible for providing support to department Recreation Supervisors and the programs they manage.
The Community Center Lead-Aquatics provides assistance to the Recreation Supervisor - Aquatics with the operations of aquatic programs and facilities. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Assists in the supervision of head guards, lifeguards and swimming lesson staff by providing direction, monitoring activities, coordinating all facility schedules, leading meetings and in-service training and assisting with payroll. Assists Aquatics Supervisor with event registrations and facility reservations.
- Provides excellent customer service to participants, patrons, and customers of the Community Center, both in-person and on the phone. Assist with patron relations when necessary.
- Responsible for monitoring all activities at pools and beaches regarding the public to ensure a safe, clean, well-maintained facility. Organizes and prepares beaches for opening day and oversees ongoing beach operations including maintaining stock of facility forms and first aid materials and coordinating special activities.
- Maintains beach and pool log books, utilization forms, equipment and facility checklists as well as completing the mid and end of summer aquatics evaluations.
- Provides leadership and programming for all aspects of American Red Cross Learn to Swim program.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently as a leader of the Aquatics Team.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
Education: Coursework in Aquatics, Parks and Recreation, or a related field; Certification in CPR, First Aid, Lifeguard Training, WSI and Lifeguard Instructor required within 90 days of hire.
Work Experience: Previous Aquatics experience is preferred; demonstrated communication, leadership, detail orientation and organization skills through education or work experience.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to swim all strokes successfully in accordance with American Red Cross Guidelines; the ability to swim a minimum of 300 yards consecutively, and the ability to lift and move heavy objects.
All employees are expected to contribute to the success of our organization by demonstrating the shared values: Collaboration, Innovation, Integrity, Performance, Relationships.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks throughout the shift; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual to all scheduled shifts.
Sound Judgment: Able to make a decision based on the right mixture of facts; determines a course of action after weighing and analyzing different options.
The City of Eden Prairie conducts professional reference and criminal history checks for all employees joining the organization. All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
Recruitment / Application Process
Apply online at www.edenprairie.org under “Employment”
Application Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Application Deadline: Wednesday, February 14 at 5:00 PM
Review Applications: by Friday, February 16, 2018
Interviews: Weeks of February 19 and February 26, 2018
Expected Start Date: Mid-March, 2018