Director of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity
Human Resources Career at the University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota Duluth integrates liberal education, research, creative activity, and public engagement and prepares students to thrive as lifelong learners and globally engaged citizens.
The University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) Director of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity is a creative and strategic leader, providing consultation and support to the UMD senior leadership. An effective manager who leads a team charged with enhancing UMD’s workforce, the Director manages the operations of the UMD Department of Human Resources, which include employment, compensation and classification, training and development, employee and labor relations, grievances, mandatory drug and alcohol testing, Workers’ Compensation, and ensuring compliance with all laws, statutes, and regulations governing human resources. The Director also serves as the dotted line reports to for all staff across campus that perform human resources duties.
This position reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Operations, but works closely with the Chancellor, all vice chancellors, deans, directors, and other key administrative staff. The position also has a dotted line to the Vice President for the Office of Human Resources for the University of Minnesota and works on many projects with various Twin Cities campus offices.
- BA/BS in Human Resources or related field from a regionally accredited institution
- At least twelve years of human resources experience, with progressively responsible experience in a human resources leadership role
- At least five years of supervisory experience including experience supervising teams
- Knowledge of all relevant laws impacting work environments and human resources
- Experience developing and administering strategic performance and compensation programs
- Experience developing and interpreting policies, procedures and guidelines
- Experience with investigations and resolution of complaints
- Experience in labor relations including performance management, interpreting union contracts, investigating grievances, delivering discipline; and strategic workforce reduction decisions
- Experience with an ERP level HR system
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- MBA or MA in Human Resource Management, Human Resource Development, Organizational Management or closely related field
- SPHR certification or equivalent
- Experience as an innovative, cooperative and consultative thinker, able to proactively identify and analyze issues in the workplace and recommend or implement solutions
- Experience in the development, implementation, and assessment of short-term and long-term HR & EO strategies
- Ability to work effectively under tight deadlines, and comfortably with all levels and types of positions within an organization; capable of advancing goals and fostering change
- Experience leading a unit, with an ability to set priorities and delegate responsibilities appropriately
- Ability to promote a healthy and motivated work force and advance diversity
- Demonstrated project management, organizational and planning skills; strong analytical skills and experience in the use of metrics
- Organizational effectiveness experience, with demonstrated ability to develop and facilitate customized training; teaching or training experience
It’s easy to apply
Go to https://z.umn.edu/39aw or search for job opening #322069 on our careers page. Follow the instructions to complete an online application and attach a cover letter and resume. Additional documents or a questionnaire may be requested. You can attach additional materials after submitting your application by accessing your "My Activities" page and uploading documents there.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (218) 726-7161.
Employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
It’s great working at the U!
The University is dedicated to keeping you and your family healthy—physically, emotionally, financially, socially, and professionally. Here are just some of the many benefits of working at the U:
- Competitive wages
- Full medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Retirement, life insurance, and short-and long-term disability insurance
- A wellness program that rewards you for doing healthy activities
- Tuition benefits to further your education while you work
- Opportunity for public employer student loan forgiveness
- Leadership development and training opportunities
- Opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer and educator.
Apply for Director of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly