Senior Media Relations Manager
Senior Media Relations Manager
Posted Date 3 weeks ago(1/31/2018 7:31 AM)
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 100151
Department/Unit Marketing, Insights and Communications
FLSA Status Exempt/Salaried
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Senior Media Relations Manager position within the Marketing, Insights and Communications department.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
The University of St. Thomas seeks a mission-driven, media relations professional committed to advancing the common good. This position will work with eight educational units, faculty and staff who focus on teaching and mentoring the next generation of changemakers and leaders, and a marketing, insights and communications team focused on exciting people about St. Thomas. The successful candidate will bring innovative thinking, problem-solving and a desire to build a media relations strategy to support marketing communication goals.
The senior media relations manager coordinates the collection and distribution of St. Thomas news and information to the news media and to the public. This person also possesses deep knowledge of the strategic priorities and key messages of the University of St. Thomas in order to build strong, proactive media relations plans in support of University priorities. This manager works across the university with colleagues and senior staff to prepare experts to speak on behalf of the University and works closely with the director of public relations and the chief marketing officer to plan/staff major President communications/events. The person also works closely with the senior social media strategist to ensure comprehensive strategies are in place to share relevant St. Thomas messages across all platforms.
- Serves as a principal point of contact between the news media and the university. This is generally threefold: first, drafting and disseminating statements and information about St. Thomas to the media in keeping with our mission, values and strategic messaging priorities; second, respond to media requests for faculty experts; and third, serve as a spokesperson for the university when necessary.
- Develop and implement compelling proactive public relations plans, messaging, news releases and pitches for key university priorities.
- Maximize use of social media, media databases, media monitoring and online networks to identify opportunities to advance the university's strategic goal of "enhanced visibility and profile."
- Actively engage in media monitoring to identify issues, trends, and proactive opportunities for university thought leaders. Build responsive relationships with area media representatives and content area experts within the university.
- Deliver media training to campus spokespeople and faculty experts.
- Serve on and advise the University Action and Response Team (UART), and write and distribute information about important issues according to a team-developed plan. Because the campus is open to students 24/7, incident response may require evening and weekend work.
- Equivalent to a bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, or related field
- Five (5) years of professional experience in public relations.
An equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills have been acquired may be substituted.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit cover letter, resume, two news releases and a media relations plan as evidence of your work.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website if you visit www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer