Legal Advocate - Home Free - Part-Time
Missions Inc. Programs is a multi-service non-profit organization with a long history of providing services to those who are most in need, each year offering thousands of men and women, whose lives have been severely disrupted by chronic addiction, homelessness, and domestic violence safety, housing, support services, and the opportunity to make real change in their lives. Chemical dependency services are provided through four programs: Hart House (women only), Mission Lodge, and Smith Lodge provide transitional housing for men and women in recovery and Mission Detox Center provides medically supervised detoxification for adults and adolescents. Domestic violence services are provided through the Home Free Shelter for battered women and their children and the Home Free Community Program.
Missions Inc. Programs enables people struggling to meet fundamental human needs to obtain safety and healing and to pursue justice in their lives.
Missions Inc. Programs is seeking applications for a part-time Legal Advocate at its Home Free Community Program serving victims of domestic violence. Home Free’s domestic assault intervention project works with police, prosecutors, courts and social service systems to provide an immediate and appropriate response to domestic assault.
This position will provide individual and class advocacy with social service, mental health, medical and criminal justice systems on behalf of abused women in the community; perform legal advocacy duties in all arrest and non-arrest cases (OFP filings and hearings, advocating for victims in criminal and civil court processes); provide crisis intervention, supportive listening, and information on resources; provide transportation for community women in own vehicle; participate in the development and distribution of information on the community program, specifically for the purpose of training volunteers and educating members of the community; maintain accurate recording and filing systems for services provided, submit data reports as needed; participate in inter- and multi-disciplinary committees and ongoing training, maintain confidentiality of all clients; work well with people from diverse racial, cultural, social and economic backgrounds; other tasks as assigned.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Civil and criminal advocacy experience;
- Knowledge of social service, welfare, mental health, civil and criminal justice systems pertinent to the needs of abused women;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to be professional and diplomatic;
- An understanding of and sensitivity to the unique problems encountered by women and children needing advocacy services, including understanding the impact of trauma;
- The ability to respond to women and children in crisis with appropriate listening and intervention skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Experience in independent job structuring;
- A valid Minnesota drivers’ license with an insurable driving record, and access to a vehicle;
- Able to lift and/or carry 35 pounds;
- Ability to work well with people of diverse racial, cultural, social and economic backgrounds;
- An awareness of culturally specific resources.
Benefits: We offer life, short and long term disability insurance, 403b plan, vacation, holiday and sick leave.
How to Apply:
Send your resume and letter of interest to: Missions Inc. Programs, HR Department 3409 E. Medicine Lake Boulevard, Plymouth, MN 55441 or fax to 763.559.1195 email to: HR@missionsinc.org. Please indicate that you are applying for the part-time Legal /Domestic Violence Advocate position. No phone calls please.
We invite you to visit our website at www.missionsinc.org/employment to learn more about us and to fill out an application to include with your resume and cover letter.
Missions Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to hiring individuals without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, familial status, membership or activity in a local commission, disability, sexual orientation or age.