Sr. Engineering Manager (WAN/MAN)
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America's leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We're the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target's passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world's best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
As the Sr. Engineering Manager of the Network Engineering MAN/WAN Team you are responsible for the technology decisions that enable the business plan and will manage an engineering team in an agile environment. You will be responsible for providing guidance to engineers and making relevant technology solution decisions related to smaller more contained products. You will be engaged with several vendors and responsible for key business aspects of the MAN/WAN - including contracts, migrations and long-term strategy. The key to the success of this position is having strong & innovative approach to problem solving, great technical leadership, excellent communication (written and verbal, formal and informal), flexibility, and a self-motivated working style with attention to detail.
As the Sr. Engineering Manager of the MAN/WAN team, you take the lead for the solutions management of systems supporting the MAN/WAN offerings supporting Target. Your products support all Team Members and Guests. You will own the detailed technical roadmap for your product leveraging the latest open source technology and CI/CD pipeline tools. You will work closely with the product owner to help set the product's direction. You will work with the Scrum Master to maintain the team's backlog. You will have the opportunity to coach and develop your engineering team while influencing your peers and leaders across Target Technology Services.
Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As an Engineering Manager, you'll take the lead as you…
- Drive best practices and ensure development of high quality solutions/technologies, including open source options to networking. Advocate for and ensure standards for common assets and framework components
- Determine the right technology choices (upgrade decisions, hosting decisions) to best deliver business value keeping in mind availability, scalability and reliability of solution.
- Responsibilities include managing the development and implementation of network infrastructure initiatives; reviewing network schematics, diagrams, and other documentation to assist with development and preparation of cost estimates; providing integrated systems planning and technology recommendations; managing network solutions to ensure successful fulfillment of end-user requirements; ensuring internal and provider SLAs are met
- Build and manage a team of high caliber Network Engineers and inform on resource allocation strategy
- Drive resolution of technology roadblocks including code, virtualization, infrastructure, infra-code, build and deployment and accountable by working with key customers and meeting delivery dates
- Plan, coordinate, direct and design all operational activities of MAN/WAN Team, as well as provide direction and support for IT solutions that enhance business operations associated with WAN technologies
- Work closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization. This includes oversight data networks, circuits, MAN solutions and managed services.
- Responsible for the on-going operations and project work driving enhancement for Metropolitan area network (MAN), wide area network (WAN), and associated technologies
- Responsible for the network design supporting cloud strategy, including connectivity between cloud providers, partners and vendors.
- Manage cross-product technical dependencies and drive resolutions to conflicts
- Lead the development of efforts to create metrics and measures that are meaningful to the MAN/WAN services for Target
- Advocate for and ensure standards around technologies, frameworks, design patterns, processes and guiding values of the domain architecture
- Ensure all network tools and infrastructure adheres to all development & security standards
- BS degree in computer science or equivalent
- 8+ years of Infrastructure Engineering experience, including network technologies
- 3+ years of managing teams with a strong track record of delivery for cross-functional products. Proven track record of building and managing high performing technical teams with an emphasis on scaling them to meet the demands of a fast paced environment
- Technical knowledge and background in network engineering, architecture and build practices to support a network environment - plus additional role-specific technical skills as required
- Experience operating small to medium scale systems
- Experience with test-driven development and software test automation
- Good understanding of agile development processes and methodology; including continuous integration and continuous delivery practices.
- Good knowledge of open source frameworks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to variety of audiences
- Develop network evolution roadmaps. Identify and assess technology trends and articulate technology recommendations.