Posted Date 2 weeks ago(2/14/2018 10:01 AM)
Number of Openings 1
Closing Date Open Until Filled
Type of Search Staff
Who May Apply This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Position Number 600006
Minneapolis & St. Paul
Department/Unit Facilities Management – Business Affairs
FLSA Status Non-Exempt/Hourly
Employment Type Full-Time Staff
Assigned Months per Year 12
Benefits Eligible Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Carpenter Assistant position within the department of Facilities Management.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
Reporting to the Carpenter Foreman, the Carpenter Assistant position maintains campus buildings and related structures applying carpentry techniques and using carpentry tools to construct, repair and install walls, stairs, floors, ceilings, windows, doors and hardware. Maintains and repairs campus fixtures and furnishings. Responds to assigned work orders and trouble calls. Performs related work as required.
- Assist with the installation and repair of doors, floors, windows, partitions, drywall, ceiling and building exteriors.
- Assist with the installation and repair locks and door hardware.
- Provides support for special events, layout and set-up staging, risers and ramps.
- Inspect and repair dormitory, office and classroom furniture including chairs, tables, desks, bulletin boards, dressers, vanities, wardrobes, closet doors, window shades and blinds. Repair athletic equipment and fixtures.
- Install audio / visual equipment, hang projection screens, monitors and white boards.
- Install window air conditioners, repair broken windows and screens.
- Maintain a safe and orderly carpentry shop, keep tools in good working order.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Carpenter Foreman.
- Completion of a formal program of technical training for the carpentry trade and formal apprenticeship in the carpentry trade, or two years of equivalent on-the-job training in carpentry and construction skills, processes, and procedures.
- Must possess a valid State of Minnesota driver's license with no outstanding violations.
This job involves frequent walking, bending, twisting, reaching, pushing and pulling. The job occasionally involves sitting, standing, work at low levels, climbing, and balancing. On rare occasions, it may involve crawling, crouching, climbing and working from a ladder, or working in a supine position. The job rarely requires lifting of over 100 pounds, occasionally lifting or carrying between 25 to 100 pounds and frequent carrying of weights between 10-25 pounds.
Frequent or continuous repetitive hand motion - primarily hand tool use is required. This may include bending or twisting of the forearm and grasping of hand and power tools. The majority of the work day will be spent standing or moving around. The work will involve frequent flexing and rotation of the head, neck and upper body.
The job will involve work around machinery, work outside and work in hot or cramped indoor environments. The work may involve work at heights, on slippery floors, or in crowded areas. Good far and near visions as well as spatial perception are needed (with corrective lenses). The ability to read printed materials and a computer screen. The ability to communicate in person and over the telephone. The University provides reasonable accomodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who require and request accommodations in order to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
HOW TO APPLY
On our Jobs page, follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes uploading a resume and copy/pasting a job specific cover letter.