Lead Cloud Engineer
We're the team that is driving innovation and transformation at Target as we prepare to adopt and move to public cloud platforms. We are looking for a highly creative and motivated individual who can both lead and implement, is eager to learn, and wants to help build the culture, practice, and craft of both cloud and DevOps across Target. The key to the success of this position is having a courageous & innovative approach to problem solving, deep engineering expertise, technical leadership, excellent communication (written and verbal, formal and informal), collaboration, flexibility, and a self-motivated working style with attention to detail.
Here's a smattering of approaches important to us, and the technologies we use:
- Everything we do is “as-code” in version control. We don't like clicking buttons or doing things manually.
- All development or infrastructure configuration changes go through a pull-request process, so you'll always have a way to thumbs up or down things you catch.
- Everything should have test cases and they go through a continuous integration process
- We understand the importance of logs and metrics, so having visibility to things you need to see to do your job isn't an issue. And if you need to add more metrics or see more logs, it's within our control to improve that.
- Some technologies which are critical to the work we do: Spinnaker, Docker, Consul, Vault, Java, Ratpack, Praxis, API Development, OpenStack,Kafka, InfluxDB, Grafana, Logstash, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Sensu, RabbitMQ, GitHub, Artifactory
Target's Public Cloud Engineering Team Wants Your Help To:
- Responsible for analyzing, designing, building and implementing infrastructure hardware and software components
- Drive key decisions on how Target utilizes technology to solve complicated problems
- Work with other groups at Target to meet networking and security requirements
- Work with software development teams to help them successfully deploy their applications on our cloud platform
- Help drive adoption of new technologies within the team and across Target
- Evangelize a DevOps mindset within Target
- Build prototypes to prove out concepts
- Interface with infrastructure partners to further our cloud platform
- Create new and contribute to existing Target open source projects
- Experience deploying and supporting an application on cloud-based infrastructure
- Experience building, deploying and managing data technology platforms such as Cassandra, MongoDB, etc.
- Experience with RESTful interfaces
- Experience with Java, Node.js, or Ruby
- Experience with Docker package management
- Contributions to Open Source community
- Infrastructure as code experience with at least one full cycle implementation from requirement to production - or similar software development experience
- Source Control Experiences, preferable experience with Git
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to work with a limited set of requirements
- Strong verbal and written communication skills - able to document and share design and specifications with team members and partners.
- Experience with Linux or Unix operating systems including Unix shell and scripting
- Extensive experience working in an agile environment (i.e. user stories, iterative development, etc.)
- BA/BS or equivalent experience
- 7-9 years total work experience
- Has in-depth knowledge of state-of-the art engineering technical approaches in design, build, testing, debugging problems as required by domain
- Maintains technical knowledge within areas of expertise
- Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education