Updated: March 2018
FLSA: Regular full-time, hourly
Shift: 12-8pm or 2-10pm M-F; some weekend work required
Eureka Recycling, a non-profit organization specializing in Zero Waste, has provided curbside and apartment recycling collections, recyclable processing, education, and advocacy since 2001. Unique for a nonprofit, Eureka Recycling has a large operational component consisting primarily of a fleet of 20 collection vehicles and a 100,000 square foot single-stream material recovery facility (MRF) where recyclables are sorted and compacted for sale to end markets. These initiatives provide more than 80 jobs for individuals who demonstrate our mission every day in the work that they do. We deeply value diversity because we understand that unique and diverse perspectives are essential to be able to achieve our mission and live our values.
Provide maintenance and repair to MRF (Material Recovery Facility) equipment. Duties and responsibilities include completing preventative maintenance, fixing equipment breakdowns, ensuring compliance with safety policies and procedures, and generating and maintaining required documentation.
- 1 year experience working in equipment or vehicle maintenance
- Mechanical aptitude, ability to solve a wide range of problems by exploring alternatives and proposing creative and effective solutions
- Effective communication skills, both verbally and in writing, along with the ability to do basic math.
- Ability to plan work and set priorities in an effective and efficient manner.
- Drug and alcohol testing are part of the qualification requirements due to the safety sensitivity of the position.
- Ability to be flexible with a variety of work projects that change from day to day
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to stand, sit, or walk for long periods of time.
Job Responsibilities (training provided on specific equipment)
- Responsible for performing daily inspections of equipment including belts and seams, examining form and texture of parts.
- Complete weekly inspection checklist items and document completion on a weekly basis
- Locate sources of problems by observing mechanical devices in operation; troubleshoot malfunctions.
- Ensure smooth operation of machinery by completing preventive maintenance requirements on engines, motors, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems, and production machines; following diagrams, sketches, operations manuals, manufacturer's instructions, and engineering specifications.
- Correspond with outside vendors to coordinate and schedule maintenance assignments.
- Repair belt and seam issues on conveyers; remove defective parts by dismantling devices; use hoists and hand power tools;
- Fabricate repair parts by using machine shop instrumentation and equipment.
- Promote a safe work environment, make recommendations and implement changes in processes, practices, and equipment that will improve safety for the organization.
- Follow lock-out, tag-out procedures as specified for all equipment.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with all employee guidelines and safety policies.
- Operate a two-way radio to communicate with staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Experience with recycling and/or composting
- Works indoors and outdoors; subject to seasonal and adverse weather conditions.
- Subject to noise from equipment operation. Hearing protection required.
- May climb in and out of equipment; bending at the waist; reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; carrying; pushing and pulling.
- Must have dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of tools
- Work will require occasional weekend work.
Please apply at the link below and submit your cover letter and resume (prompted in the application process):
Affirmative Action Policy Statement:
Eureka Recycling will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, creed, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or affectional orientation.