Material Engineer Shoes and Accessories
Description: Purpose:Material Engineer for shoes and accessories will research new materials for commercialization. This role will develop the right materials according to end use, target prices, sourcing policy, calendar timelines, and quality standards.Key Responsibilities:
- Maintain a working knowledge of government regulations, safety protocols and Target performance standards for textiles, soft polymers, and leather
- Through trend research and collaboration with the merchandise, design, and development teams create and maintain online and physical libraries of core and seasonally relevant materials
- Serve as the primary contact and consultant for all material related questions for all internal and external partners
- Collaborate with sourcing teams to establish and update material supplier matrix
- Hold Business Partners accountable to Target's standards and expectations; identify opportunities for supplier training and elevation
- Bachelor degree in Chemical, Material, Mechanical, Textile Engineering or related field
- Three to five years of relevant work experience in product development or manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of shoes and accessories material types, applications, physical properties and test methods
- Basic understanding of shoes and handbag design, development, and manufacturing processes.
- Ability to anticipate problems, offers solutions, and address issues with materials in order to meet key business objectives
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Lab testing and global material experience is a plus